Khoros Atlas Logo

Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Social Media Tools

I use a number of social media tools to get work done in the course of the day. For instance, here's a quick list of what I've used in the last 24 hours:

• Blogs (reading and authoring)
  • Forum (reading and posting)
  • Tags
  • Wikis
  • Ratings
  • RSS feeds (reading and sharing)
  • Photo sharing

I find these indespensible now to my daily life, and I'm curious if this is as true for others as well. What are the social media tools you've used in the last 24 hours?
Tags (2)
12 Replies 12
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Social Media Tools

Good list.  I would add social networking sites to the list.  Admittedly, I use these sites more for my personal life at this point, but I've head that these are gaining traction with user communities because:

• Robut user profiles with more information like industry, region, experience, and biz interests
  • "User Search" that lets users search for other users that met X search criteria (for example, other Community members who own yoga studios but aren't in their area...because they don't want to talk to their competitors) 
  • Add these users as friends, so they can follow their activity closer
  • Enable users to create their own private and public groups, so they can have more control over the conversations taking place
Roxy
Occasional Contributor tristan
Occasional Contributor

Another tool we've found pretty useful is using moderated chat to connect our member with company executives.   The moderated aspect allows some control over the conversation and community members get a great sense involvement from the company.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

• Blogs (reading and authoring)
  • Forum (reading and posting)
  • Wikis
  • RSS feeds (reading and sharing)
  • Photo sharing
  • chat
  • video sharing
  • twittering
  • IM
  • IRC chat

I just realized from making this list that I'm likely spending way too much time at my computer and my smart phone.

:robottongue:

---
I am, therefore I think.
---
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

I'd also throw some monitoring tools and/or services into the mix...  From basic feed aggregators, to complex software as a service offerings that provide categorization, sentiment scoring and some analytics.

There are a ton of companies offering these kinds of services.  

Monitoring is really a good place to get started with social media in my opinion because listening is foundational.  

I won't go further, because I think this could be a discussion topic itself...

Mark

I'm not huge on the entire social scene, but I am a regular user of:

•Forums
•Wikis
•Ratings
•IRC chats

I don't exactly use wikis every day, but I have used Wikipedia within the last twenty-four hours. 😛
0 Kudos
ryanzuk
New Commentator

RSS, blogs, forums, and Twitter for me today. I agree, it's hard to imagine life without these tools. Productivity is another thing, requires some discipline for me at least; so many tempting tangets to look into. Wanting to start using bookmarking. This pretty straight forward, or suggestions on where to begin with tools and any to avoid?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Blogs, forums, RSS, IM, SMS and wikis.  It's funny to think that I live on IM at work but seldom use it elsewhere any more.

Jane

Jane

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lithium Alumni (Retired) Lithium Alumni (Retired)
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Mark_Hopkins wrote:

I'd also throw some monitoring tools and/or services into the mix...  From basic feed aggregators, to complex software as a service offerings that provide categorization, sentiment scoring and some analytics.

There are a ton of companies offering these kinds of services.  

Monitoring is really a good place to get started with social media in my opinion because listening is foundational.  

I won't go further, because I think this could be a discussion topic itself...

Mark

I love Mark's point.  One question I have is about whether feed aggregation is something you'll want to see in your communities? Do you want to know what feeds your users read, and what's popular? How about other places they post?

williamgeorge
New Commentator

Ya me too.. I used to look forums, blogs, guestbook entries and more for collecing more information. And nowadays more people using those social media tools which you have specified.

=========

george

cv and interviews

0 Kudos