cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Validating user registrations

In the last few months, our community started to see a rise in the number of registrations that occurred each week. At the highest point, we saw around 10k registrations in one week. Then, near the beginning of March, we saw a sharp decrease, down to about 2k. I suspect that we were seeing inflated numbers for the weeks/months running up to this and somehow the "fake" registrations have started to get blocked. My question is, what is the best method to determine the quality of these registrations?

I've looked at a number of factors in the Metrics > Users report. From the week with 10k+ registrations, about half of those had 0 total minutes online. However, I'm not sure if that is a good indication or not. Does anyone have any tips on what kind of reports I can run and what data I should be looking at? Thanks!

Jesse - GoDaddy Community Manager
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Khoros Oracle

This is always a good question.

Do you have Single Sign-On (SSO) for your Community?  If so, there are a number of things that can create noise with that metric.  But I will let you answer in the affirmative (or the negative) before I start to explain them.

If you do not have SSO in your Community, there are a number of other things you can look at too, but again, I'll wait until you clarify before I explain those.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Thanks @JakeR! Yes, we have SSO. 

Highlighted

Ok, good to know.

So what needs to happen now is to uncover with your internal technical team (probably reach out to some of the guys and gals within your brand that helped set up your SSO when the Community was first launched) if they are, perhaps unintentionally, creating a 'Community Account' each time somebody signs up for the website, makes a purchase via the website, signs up for email alerts for the website, etc.  

There are some brands that have historically created a lot of noise for the Community registration metrics (and a bit of heartache for the Community Management team) due to this kind of configuration.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Awesome. Thanks for the tips @JakeR. I hadn't thought to check with that team. I'll see if they have any insight. Thanks again.