cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

We rebuilt our Community - Sharing some of what we built!

Hey everyone - After nearly 3 years on the Khoros platform, we recently relaunched our Community, rebuilding it from the ground up.  I joined the team shortly after they first launched on a near out of box experience.  As such, we took the year of knowledge as we got the first phase of this out the door. Learned plenty from the Community on here, so hopefully this helps someone!  Happy to answer questions about anything we did!

• Navigation - We are a lot of things to a lot of people, and we span a lot of different areas of the business.  We relaunched our top-nav experience with this.  Previously, we hid the Forums within different child sections of our Community, bringing them together has had a huge increase on engagement.  Similarly, we brought the Idea Exchange up to the top.nav.JPG

• Ask the Community widget - We built this component which resides on every page in Community (except homepage).  We wanted to ensure it was as easy as possible to engage the Community, regardless of where you may end up.
    • askcommunity.JPG
  • Multi-Label filtering and new message layouts - We built a new layout that we use for Ideas, Blogs, and TKBs in various sections. It allows you to sort off multiple labels, statuses, tags, etc.message and filters.JPGblog_photos.JPG
  • Latest Content in Community – Small component that shows the latest articles in selected sections, and automatically flips through the latest 10recent.JPG
  • Navigation Tiles - A huge thing we tried to do was consistency throughout our Community, previously this far from existed.  We created these navigation tiles.  They can by dynamically generated based on the child nodes, or, we can manually create them for when we need to link to locations outside of Communitytiles.JPG
  • Mobile friendly – Our site was not mobile friendly, even for having launched only 3 years prior. Mobile also makes up less than 5% of our traffic today so we didn’t ‘need’ it.  That changed entirely with this. We rebuilt the mobile navigation so it actually works, and overall the experience is 1000x improved.
  • User Directory - As we launch more and more programs, we needed a quick way to highlight folks.  We launched the first version of this.  It's a work in progress, has no pagination yet so it can take a bit of time to load + cache.userdir.JPG
  • Accordions - We created these accordions that pull in TKBs.  We built the component so that we can add the node as a parameter, it then pulls in the TKB and displays each article like this.  We built it with manual_sort enabled, so that we can put the TKB articles in a specific order via admin, and have them reflect that way on the page.
    • accordion.JPG
  • Homepage and Section Carousels - We built these carousels for the homepage and some child sections that display content from Community, either automatically pulling it in and/or manually applying the article ID's in custom content that you want displayedcarousel.JPG

You can check the site out live here: https://community.anaplan.com/

15 Replies 15
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Hi Stan,

Thanks for sharing! What is being done to embed the learning content on the TKB pages?

https://community.anaplan.com/t5/Connected-Planning-Playbook/The-Journey/ta-p/42880

----------------------------------

Lili McDonald
Senior Community Manager @ Udemy
Connect on LinkedIn
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It's actually just an iframe pasted directly into the article.  We don't currently capture/write back learning results for the ones we host within Community, but it's the dream of where I would love to get our Academy team to.

<p><iframe src="https://s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/anaplancommunity/ConnectedPlanningPlaybook/The+Journey/index.html" width="100%" height="1200"></iframe></p>
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Very nice.  Thanks for sharing @StanGromer .  Did you do all this yourself or get Khoros services involved?  Just curious.  

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Hi @StanGromer  - just wanted to say congrats and thanks for sharing - it's come a long way since launch and you guys are doing some very cool things! Would love to hear more on the results as you start gathering impact, love so many of these ideas! 

Highlighted

@kgroneman We did all of this in-house.  We're lucky to have at least ~1.5 engineers dedicated to us, along with portion of a UX designer & myself dedicated to all things Khoros and stretching to OKTA/Coveo/Bevy/Advocacy platforms from a technology perspective.

We've slowly transitioned from seeing it as a platform where we previously did use third party services (iTalent, who were great), to treating it more as an evolving product and being able to handle all of the work from idea to launch ourselves recently, as we've grown the team and been able to show the value! (Edit: For clarification, our Community team is 10 people + ~1.5 engineers + .5 UX)

Highlighted

@StanGromer lucky for you!   Here, I'm it.  And I'm not a developer.  I can do html and in a pinch figure out some CSS. 🙂  4 other people on our community team are content focused marketing types.   I was thrown into the deep end of the pool here about a year and a half ago and told "Guess what.  Lithium is yours".  I've been on a learning curve ever since.   I'm definitely jealous, but I love reading about  the possibilities. 🙂 

--
Community manager in the Micro Focus Community. My computer always used to beat me at chess, but it is no match for me now I changed the competition to kick boxing.
Highlighted

@kgroneman Haha, trust me, I feel your pain - I knew basic html/css ~15 years ago, relearned it all when I started this role ~3 years ago just to try to get anything done.  We call them "Stan hacks" as we knew anything I did was far from being the 'right way' to do it, but with enough Google'ing it's easy enough to build nearly anything by borrowing endless code & hours of trial and error 🤣

Highlighted

Google is one of my best friends. Wait...come to think of it, I don't have any other friends..........

--
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Looks fantastic! Congratulations!!