Khoros Atlas Logo

Occasional Contributor zoetetal1
Occasional Contributor

"Start a discussion" button on home page of community

Jump to solution

We have several forums but want to put a simple "Start a discussion" button on the home page of the community. However the community managers don't want to create a default forum. So we need a way for the user to choose what forum the discussion is started in. Is there an existing UX pattern for this? 

Tags (1)
6 Replies 6
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Re: "Start a discussion" button on home page of community

Jump to solution

We have one of those that goes to this URL; https://<community URL>/t5/forums/postpage/choose-node/true/interaction-style/forum

It is a standard post creation page but it has a drop down under the subject line that a user must pick from before they can post, the drop down has a list of the first 20 boards on the forum with a show more option at the end that brings up the entire community structure. The first 20 boards are picked from the top of your navigation going down I believe.

Note that my community is currently not on responsive yet.

Tags (1)
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

@zoetetal1

We have implemented this. See workshop.com.au for an example. It is common practice and certainly a good idea to encourage participation on the site. 

On Workshop when the member clicks on the Start a discussion button, underneath the the topic heading there's a drop down where they select the board. Our list of available labels then changes dynamically based on which board the user has selected to post in.

Jason 

Generic1.jpg

Tags (1)
Occasional Contributor zoetetal1
Occasional Contributor

Jump to solution

thanks this will work

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Jump to solution

ahh perfect, I was considering this for our site but would have to be done extremely carefully.

We're currently looking at tweaking our homepage to encourage / stimulate conversations better.

-----------------------------

Cancer Council Online Community

Tags (1)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi everyone, this is exactly what I'm after however, I want to put this "Post" button on a category page, and only want the boards that are part of that category to appear in the Board drop down list. Do you know how to do that? 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Jump to solution

Hi EmilyBilling,

You can use the following URL to get only those boards which are part of the particular category.

https://community.MYCOMMUNITY.com/t5/forums/postpage/category-id/[Category-ID]/choose-node/true

Thanks,

0 Kudos