Public

POV: Making Space for Twitter Spaces

Khoros Staff

Title Cards (4).png

What is Twitter Spaces?

• Similar to Clubhouse, Spaces is a place for users to gather for live and audible discussions. Twitter describes Spaces as a "place to come together, built around the voices of the people using Twitter." Its goal is to replicate the feeling of a dinner party where you may not know everyone, but they feel safe and comfortable to engage in discussion anyway. It’s currently in beta now but Twitter is hoping to have it available for anyone to use starting in April. 

How does it work?

Seamlessly creates a natural discussion amongst an existing community.

• Conversations show up at the top of the Home page similar to where users can see Fleets and can be seen by anyone who follows the speaker’s account which creates a natural connection among those listening in. Unlike Clubhouse, you can follow new accounts on Twitter straight from the Space. 

Public to anyone who follows you. 

• At the moment, users can control who is able to speak during their live discussion; they can allow everyone to speak, only people they follow, or only people they invite to speak. However, they cannot control who joins the discussion to listen in. There is a cap on speakers (at 10 for now) but there is no cap on how many people can join. 
  • Though any user can join, the host of the Space is able to remove, report, and block participants. This allows the Space to be safe from trolls and harassment at the hands of the host. 

Spaces are shown at the top of a Twitter feed for anyone who is following the leader or speakers in the Space. 

• By hosting a Space and adding speakers, users and brands can increase their reach to the followers outside of their own. 

Twitter has outlined step-by-step directions on how to start a Space here.

Spaces

Clubhouse 

Within Twitter at top of feed

Separate app 

Seamless follow without leaving app

Links out of app in order to follow users on main platform

Creates live transcripts as the conversation continues (though the transcripts have bugs and are still a work in progress)

Not fully accessible

Can use emoji reactions when muted

No reactions when muted

Viewed as a natural audio experience

Viewed as a networking mixer

Speaker is seen as the handle and the brand itself 

Speaker is a person with a picture, name and title under the brand

Twitter has stated that it will store copies of all conversations on Twitter Spaces, its new live audio feature, for at least 30 days in order to check for platform violations. If a violation is detected, Twitter can then hold copies of a conversation for up to 90 days

Clubhouse automatically deletes its recordings when the room ends unless a user reports a violation of the app’s Trust and Safety measures during the chat

User Quotes  

"Compared to chatting on Clubhouse, Twitter Spaces feels like talking with a small room of friends"

“So far, I prefer Twitter Spaces over Clubhouse. Twitter Spaces gives audience members the ability to emoji react so speakers know how their messages are resonating with people, unlike Clubhouse where you may be speaking to dead silence. Additionally, most people already have an audience built on Twitter so they can connect with people they already know, as well as connect with new people, instead of having to start net new with Clubhouse. Overall, I’m looking forward to seeing the innovative ways people use audio social media on a platform with which they’re already familiar.”

“I have an account on both platforms, but I like Twitter Spaces a lot more than Clubhouse. Clubhouse takes itself too seriously. I like having the ability to react to the speakers on Twitter while I continue to browse my timeline. Spaces seems a little more personal and fun. I look forward to joining a Twitter Space and find it easier to host a Space with people who have similar interests.”

“Though I loved the excitement that Clubhouse created on and off-platform, especially when a public figure randomly dropped in a room, I prefer Spaces, due to the lower barrier to entry (no invite needed/ don’t need to build your audience) and the ability for audience members to participate.”

Our POV 

Spaces differentiates itself from other broadcasting features by tapping into an existing user base while offering an opportunity for growth and creating a casual environment for conversation.  

Brands can utilize this feature to share announcements, present thought leadership opportunities joined by industry professionals, and to entertain followers using popular creators, influencers and public figures. 

A successful Space includes notable speakers and their followers as active listeners. This translates into an increased awareness for the Space and a growth opportunity for the host and speakers. Since Twitter Spaces’ launch, there have been multiple occasions of Spaces trending worldwide, such as when 5 Seconds of Summer hosted a chat with their fans using the feature. 

• Some of its limitations include delayed and incorrect transcripts as the feature is still in beta version, a narrow selection of emoji reactions and limited discoverability as Spaces only show up if the user is following one of the speakers in the Space. 

Opportunities for Brands 

Real-time Feedback

• Since everyone in the audience has the ability to react with emojis, brands can creatively use this feature to their advantage. For example, they can poll community members and learn what they think of a new product, slogan, campaign, etc by asking them to use a certain reaction for approval or disapproval.

Partnerships With Influencers & Brands 

• People can see spaces based on who they’re following, so partnering with a relevant brand or influencer and holding a conversation on Twitter Spaces can expand brand awareness to people outside of the current community. This allows for new connections to be made and an organic increase in follower size. 

Show Another Side of Brand

• Spaces opens up the opportunity for brands and other thought leaders to discuss matters that are important to the core values of the company such as diversity and inclusion. This will allow brands to show a different side of themselves that may not be seen through other social media outlets.
Tags (4)