Public
Advisor

Instagram Direct Messages

Hi I know that this has been raised before but is it possible to pull in Instagram Direct Messages?  

We post publicly but there are times when we need to customers to contact us privately.  Seems a little crazy if we can't??

9 Replies 9
Advisor

Bumping this to see if anyone can help?

Mentor

Facebook/Instagram still hasn't exposed Direct Messages via their API yet, so I don;t think we'll see them integrated into Khoros fo some time after that. My FB Rep told me they would be available by the end of Q1 this year and that never happened, so I've reached back out to see if they have a new time frame.

If you use Facebook Business Manager, you can connect your IG channel to that and use the Instagram Direct Inbox to respond. It's not ideal, but works as a temporary solution.

/Jeff

Advisor

Any news on that? I'm wondering about what  @JE has already mentioned, that it's possible to answer on Instagram Direct Messages via FB Business Manager, thus it seems that there is a kind of an API between FB and Instagram. 

In my understanding there should be a chance to tap the Facebook API for some Instagram informations such as Direct Messages. 

Or is that thought too simple ;)?

Based on discussions I've had with my Facebook reps, the Instagram Direct functionality is beinging driven by interal APIs that are not yet available to the public. They have still been unable to provide me with a timeframe for when DMs will be added to the standard API.

I'm hoping that Khoros might have more insight on the timing as a FB partner so they can implement it asap when it becomes available. Otherwise I fear it would end up being part of the 2021 roadmap.

/J

Contributor

Given the merging of FB and IG DMs into Messenger this week (for us in Australia anyway), do we know if there's any update on the API front to allow DMs to be pulled in? 

Failing that, does anyone know of a way to turn off DMs for a brand page on Instagram?

Hi vodamitch1,

Our PMs over on Marketing Blog have announced our partnership with Instagram to roll out DM moderation in Khoros Marketing and Care to qualifying customers. This program is currently in Early Access. Please reach out to your CSM to let them know your company is interested in participating! 

AFAIK, there's currently no way to disable incoming DMs on Instagram but you can disable push notifications for them.

A rollout timeframe has now been confirmed by Facebook. 

As of June 2021 all accounts with 10,000+ followers should have access to Instagram DMs via Khoros Care or Khoros Marketing Inbox. 

From July 2021, this will extend to business accounts with 1000+ followers and Facebook propose the rest will get the functionality by September. 

More information is here: Atlas Article

If you are currently eligible, the new streams are available automatically in Khoros Marketing, you will however have to add them manually per initiative and per account. If you work with Topic Queues in Khoros Marketing, you're now able to add 'Direct Messages' for IG to those Queues. 

In Care, DMs will flow in automatically. 

Contributor

Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks for the information.

We managed to get on the early trial and everything is working well so pleased to hear the rollout is on the horizon.