Khoros Atlas Logo

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Blogging ROI

Jump to solution

Good day Lithium crew,

I have come to the end of a successful blogging pilot and putting together the program results as well as my sales pitch to justify the costs.

I am showing quantitiative data like:

• Views, likes, bookmarks, comments (blog stats)
  • Sessions, New Users, Page Views, Session Duration (Google Analytics traffic from Twitter promotion)
  • These numbers are great and I can prove that customers are coming, reading, interacting, and reading additional content after reading the blog.

I am discussing qualititative benefits too:

• Blogs build trust
  • They provide customer-centric knowledge with the ability to ask a question (unlike a knowledge base article)
  • Blogs create better educated customers: better product knowledge - more efficient use - potential new wallet share - lower costs from fewer formal cases.

I know the cost of a blog based on an Engineer's time to create and respond along with my time to manage, edit, and promote - is there a way to show ROI?  How are you telling the C-suite what they are getting?

Thank you for your help.

Best,

Toby

Community Manager - Seismic Software
2 Replies 2
Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Blogging ROI

Jump to solution

I believe I have an equation to show ROI.

Value = (# Metric) x (% Confidence Factor) x ((Cost / Incident)

For Metric I use unique blog views

Confidence factor is case deflection (10% - 30%)

Cost is how much does it cost to publish your blog (time to create, edit, publish, respond)

Happy to discuss in further detail.

Best,

Toby

Community Manager - Seismic Software
0 Kudos
Occasional Advisor
Occasional Advisor

Re: Blogging ROI

Jump to solution

I like your blog ROI thinking but that algorithm assume all blog posts are of a technical "How do I" style.

In looking at our blogging effort it would be more like this:

Value = (# Metric) x (% Confidence Factor(N- CaseStudyBlogs+ AnnouncmentBlogs x ((Cost / Incident)

Where N = Total blogs published

CaseStudyBlogs= Case Study type blogs (assuming these are 0% deflection)

AnnouncmentBlogs= Blogs that are announcing new features, webinars etc

On a related topic, how do you calculate forum ROI? 

Since most of our Lithium site is forums, it seems like CHI would be a natural fit.

Unfortunately in digging into the metrics CHI uses resolution doesn't even seem to play a part.

So while our CHI is going up our answer rate/case deflection is going down.

Which begs a larger question of the value of the CHI metric over an NPS, WOMI or an NSAT. 

Since CHI isn't documented therefore not reproducible on other Microsoft web properties or Uservoice i can not compare the values to see if any changes are temporal change or a response to something we have done.

-Chuck