Khoros Community

Highlighted
jordazzle
New Commentator

Company Website Blog vs. Community Blog

Here's a conundrum that we face as community practitioners...

• Host blogs in your community?
  • Host blogs on your marketing/company website?
  • Host blogs on community and website?!

Has anyone ever encountered a treatise or something that clearly outlines the answers to these questions? I would love to hear the thoughts and ideas from my fellow community leaders. Holistic community platforms like Lithium, the former JiveX, Telligent, Higher Logic, etc. all offer a "blog" content type among different functioning content tools like Q&A Forums, Discussions, Ideation tools, etc.

Over in the Feverbee Community I started a discussion on this topic and took a much deeper dive into this this topic.

https://experts.feverbee.com/t/blogs-and-seo-host-on-company-website-community-both/7295

I'd love to hear any thoughts and ideas that y'all have considered when looking at your company website blog vs. your community blogs.

4 Replies 4
Respected Contributor Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Re: Company Website Blog vs. Community Blog

Interestingly enough, we are looking at our blogs as well. Currently ours are hosted on wordpress and then pulled into the company website. Since we have a technical blog and a more business focused blog there different workflows for each blog. In our use case Wordpress comes with its own set of issues, as a different tool to be managed, so the gameplan is to move the blogs into Lithium and harness SMM for the workflow. Ultimately I would like to have the content exist on the community and duplicated via RSS feed on the company website but we are still hashing out the details. 

0 Kudos
KristenMeren
New Commentator

This is such a great topic! I've implemented one blogging program in a software user community and am about to do it again in a second software user community.

My experience has been that it's best to keep the more promotional, 'about us' kind of blog posts in the company blog, where more prospective customers hang out. This should be the hub in my opinion, for things like customer success stories, upcoming company sponsored events, etc.

In a community blog, I think the content needs to be geared toward existing customers and enhancing their experience with the brand or product the community is centered on. Bonus points for blog posts that come directly from customers, and show other users how to solve a problem! I've also gotten some great traction out of posts that were created by a CM to show members how to better use the community.

Hoping to see more comments and ideas here! 

0 Kudos
Respected Contributor
Respected Contributor

Hi @jordazzle -

I have seen the following to be true: a blog on the company website is focused on promoting the brand and driving SEO; within communities, the content is much more customer-centric. In addition, the other advantage (for both the brand and customer), are the conversations that occur in the community blog.  

When customers see a very content rich blog written by a senior person or subject matter expert, they are more willing to engage with questions. The conversations that follow these questions can often uncover business opportunities - even if they don't, there is engagement.

Has anyone seen the same?

Best,

Toby

Community Manager - Seismic Software
0 Kudos
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I would ad another dimension: 

What is the content and goal of your blog? 

I often see, that a blog on company websites is used for all topics that have no real space elsewhere. With this strategy there is often a crazy mix and zero engagement. 

Others use it very targeted e.g. for employee branding and recruiting, sustainability, developer. Those blogs can be somewhere and can than be linked/integrated back to the website when it makes sense. 

So in my opinion:

If a topic fits into the DNA of the community it should be there. 

If it is a special topic like the ones mentioned above it qualifies for a single individual blog (which can also live in the community but in a dedicated area) with a clear value proposition. All this can later be integrated/linked back to dedicated areas of your website.  

And (most important) when you think back what a blog should be than it is something that is created by individuals, something that expresses a personal view on something and not just another "article" that could also be static content on your website.

Best, 

Jan