Khoros Community

Advisor
Advisor

lithium sitemap

I have read the posts on this site related to lithium sitemaps and still have a few questions.

I found the url for lithium sitemaps and have I have reviewed the one for our new lithium community site. I was expecting to see way more content listed. But there appears to be just one xml sitemap and it contains very few items, not at all a full list of all the pages for the site - and there is no reference for multiple xml files that some dynamic xml generators create.

Using the XML file for this site:
https://lithosphere.lithium.com/sitemap.xml
https://lithosphere.lithium.com/sitemap_nodes.xml
why aren't there way more entries in this xml file? I know there is way more content than just the items listed in this xml file. The xml site map should contain all the pages that are part of the site. 

Why does the lithium sitemap seem to be so small and missing so many of the needed urls? This sitemap will not help google crawl the site more intelligently.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
10 Replies 10
Advisor
Advisor

Re: lithium sitemap

Is anyone else seeing very poor google search results for content from their community? 

has anyone ever implemented a dynamic sitemap with a lithium community? 

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

@Chao You might want to follow this discussion and share thoughts :-)

Learning from others and helping where I can!
Community Passionista!
Advisor
Advisor

thanks Wendy. I found a thread that mentions lithium has no built-in dynamic sitemap capability, https://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Developer-Discussion/Search-Engine-Optimization-SEO-of-new-MB-pos...

but there is very scare discussion or information available around this topic on the lithosphere community that I can find. Surely someone has implemented a working dynamic sitemap for a lithium site before, right?  

0 Kudos
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Ken

I am also struggling with Sitemap recently.  I am considering to try the thread-level sitemap. You might take a look at this article. The below is the part about Sitemap.

What is a Sitemap and why is it valuable?

There are many different (and often contradictory) strategies for improving SEO.  That said, it is generally agreed that sites that cooperate with search engine crawlers will have more success getting their content indexed and surfaced. The Sitemap is one important method of cooperation.
When a search engine crawler arrives at a site, it might not have much information about how to efficiently allocate its time there. As such, it risks spending time crawling pages it has already seen and missing content that is new or updated. The Sitemap addresses this by providing -- in essence -- a list of site content along with a date-stamp of its last change. Crawlers reference this list and can then quickly identify the areas of the site that require attention. This increase in efficiency leads to sites being indexed faster and more completely.

The Lithium Sitemap uses a single sitemap domain (/sitemap.xml) for both threaded- and node-level sitemaps. For node-level granularity, crawlers are fed the basic skeleton of the community structure rather than a map to every post and reply. When thread-level granularity is enabled, the sitemap includes a link to a threaded file to which crawlers are redirected. Lithium also supports sitemaps for images and videos. 

Note: Faster crawl time is good, so large communities with many boards and deep threads tend to benefit from node-level sitemaps. Smaller communities get a bigger net benefit from pointing to specific threads. In most cases, node-level is a fine starting point, which is why it is enabled by default. Thread-level sitemaps tend to be a good solution for communities where content moves around a lot or there’s a lot of daily activity. 

To enable Lithium Sitemap for nodes/threads and/or images/video, file a support ticket.

Chao

Advisor
Advisor

Chao, thanks for giving some of the content from that link, because I do not have access to that page. I have previously requested access to a similarly blocked page, and no one ever got back to me from lithium... - nothing but the sound of crickets chirping in the darkness. Hopefully someone from lithium will chime in and make some of the details around this topic area publicly available.

0 Kudos
Honored Contributor

@AndyK

Can you help Ken with access?

Community Passionista!
Advisor
Advisor

Thanks Wendy, I did eventually get access, after a couple of email requests. 

There is contradictory information about sitemaps on various threads and some are not available to the public. This should be cleaned up and corrected.  The info Chao gave from non-public page totally is at odds with the thread I mentioned above.  I will work to get a ticket logged to see if our sitemap set up needs to be changed.

0 Kudos
Khoros Guru
Khoros Guru

The info in the best practice article that Chao shared is much more recent. The other discussion you linked earlier was from 2010 and the Lithium platform has evolved and gained features and functionality since then. You are on the right path having reached out to Lithium support to get the dynamic sitemap generation enabled for your community.

The value of a thread level sitemap is hard to tell though. Unless search engines reveal their crawling approach and ranking algorithm this aspect of SEO is still largely magic and guesswork. From my observation though Google picks up new community threads within less than 24h even without a thread level sitemap enabled.

Learn how to master Khoros. Visit the Best Practice Center

If you appreciate my efforts, please give me a kudo ↓
Accept as solution to help others find it faster.
Honored Contributor

I saw one thread today on our community, it was just posted and google had already picked it up. I think it was just 2 hours old!!
That's quick!

Community Passionista!