cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
New Commentator

Question about kudos function

Hi folks,

As a participant on the AnswersExchange at HBR, I noticed that kudos listings seem to roll over. That is, a person can earn a high rating and then that rating decreases, even though the number of kudos earned has not changed. I'm curious about the rationale behind that. Any info is appreciated.

Best wishes,

Tara

4 Replies 4
Highlighted
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hello Tara,

I am not sure what do you mean by "roll over." But the total kudo count for a person should not change. However, on the kudo counts on the kudo leader board only shows the number of kudos accumulated within a certain time range. So the kudo count listed there can increase and then decrease as you mentioned.

I am not sure what that time range is for HBR, but for Lithosphere it is 30 days. So it will only count hte kudos that a user received during the past 30 days. So it is essentially a kudo velocity measure.

The reason for that is that it makes  the leader board more dynamics, so that users with high kudo accumulation velocity can be on the board as well. If we use the total # of kudos, then most likely only the older superusers will be on there, and they will be on there pretty much all the time. That is less desirable, because a new user with very high velocity is gaining kudo very fast would never get the thrill, reward, and recognition of being on the leader board.

Not sure if I understand your questions or whether this answers your question. Let me know if this address your question. Otherwise, you might have to elaborate on that a bit. 

@mich8elwu "Come and learn about The Science of Social"

If this post answers your question, please mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Highlighted
New Commentator

Hi Mike,

That was precisely what I wanted to understand. I thought that might be the case but you put words to it that I could not. Many thanks and keep up the good work!

Best wishes,

Tara

Highlighted
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi Tara. In your admin you can change the default time range for showing the Kudos leaderboards too. So if you have a very busy community with lots of posting, rating, you could reduce the timeline to be the last 7 days or even the last 24 hrs.

Conversely you can make the range longer, but as MikeW notes then it's less likely that newer activity would show on there for a while. This is definitely a tool for encouraging people's participation through visual recognition of their contribution.

The controls for this are in  Admin > General Settings > Kudos Settings

Hope that helps!

Paul Gilliham
Lithosphere CM / Director, Digital/Community Strategy

---

Was your question answered? Mark it as an Accepted Solution!
See a great post? Click on the Thumb Up to show your appreciation!
Highlighted
New Commentator

Hi Paul,

I'm not an admin over there, just a user. I enjoy social media and got curious about how the function worked. Thanks for the inputs and increasing my knowledge!

Best wishes,

Tara