Public
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Typical Procedure for a Company

I wanted to ask about a typical procedure for Lithium in regards to creating a community for a company.  I have a sports officials business that wants me to manage their online community because I am experienced with their program.  More specifically, it is an umpires association that wants to provide a community to their officials for discussion.  When I heard this I automatically thought of Lithium.  Question is, for me to manage a community is it easier to be under employment of Lithium's payroll or should I be employed by the company wanting me to provide this community?  I have over 6 years experience with Lithium thus far through the PlayStation site and I would love to see Lithium receive our business.

 

I have sent a request in for some pricing quotes through the 'Contact Us' link but have not received a reply.  I would appreciate a quote and any additional info be sent to collin.caffrey@gmail.com

 

Looking forward to working with you,

 

Collin

9 Replies 9
Highlighted
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Welcome Collin!

 

While Lithium can provide resources for companies to help moderate and manage their communities, we recommend that the visible owner of the community be an employee of the customer's organization - after all, it's not really Lithium that your members want to connect with. Does that answer your question?

 

But that sounds like a great idea for a community! Being an umpire has to be a stressful occupation, and chances to connect with your peers are probably few and far between. I'm glad you thought of Lithium as the platform! I'll make sure to get your information over to our sales team and have them contact you. I'll follow up with you via private message once I do.

 

-Scott

 

 

 

 

 

 

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

I just called into the sales department and spoke with Nema.  He was very helpful and provided a good source of direction to head in.  I will be turning my report into my manager and hopefully we can get the ball rolling from there.  I look forward to working with you all!

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

Just got some responses back from my managment. They had discussed pros and cons to me of using a third party for a forum.  One of the primary concerns we feel with a third party forum is that the user would have to log in to the forum and it couldn’t use the same authentication as our website.

 

Have a great day.

 

Collin

Highlighted
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

 


CollinC wrote:

Just got some responses back from my managment. They had discussed pros and cons to me of using a third party for a forum.  One of the primary concerns we feel with a third party forum is that the user would have to log in to the forum and it couldn’t use the same authentication as our website.

 

Have a great day.

 

Collin


 

 

This is mostly true today, tho becoming less so with the adoption of OpenId, Facebook Connect and the like.

 

Until then, Single Sign-On solutions from the platform vendors will be needed. I happen to think Lithium's SSO solution is pretty lightweight and easy to adopt, but I recognize that I have a bit of a bias there... Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

 


ScottD wrote:

 


CollinC wrote:

Just got some responses back from my managment. They had discussed pros and cons to me of using a third party for a forum.  One of the primary concerns we feel with a third party forum is that the user would have to log in to the forum and it couldn’t use the same authentication as our website.

 

Have a great day.

 

Collin


 

 

This is mostly true today, tho becoming less so with the adoption of OpenId, Facebook Connect and the like.

 

Until then, Single Sign-On solutions from the platform vendors will be needed. I happen to think Lithium's SSO solution is pretty lightweight and easy to adopt, but I recognize that I have a bit of a bias there... Smiley Tongue


 

So I take it that it's possible to have a single sign on off our current website's sign-in, or it is not currently possible?

 

Highlighted
Lithium Alumni (Retired)

 


CollinC wrote:

 

So I take it that it's possible to have a single sign on off our current website's sign-in, or it is not currently possible?

 


 

Yes, it is possible. Many of our customers use their own authentication and registration systems to allow access to their communities on the Lithium platform without a second login.

 

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Not only is it possible but there are quite a few companies using it. 

 

To see a good example of it working in public, check out the playstation.com or Killzone.com sites. You can login to either site using the same online ID that you have on your PS3 (you DO have a PS3 right? 😛 )

 

Phil....

Highlighted
Occasional Advisor

 


ppriston wrote:
Not only is it possible but there are quite a few companies using it. 

 

To see a good example of it working in public, check out the playstation.com or Killzone.com sites. You can login to either site using the same online ID that you have on your PS3 (you DO have a PS3 right? 😛 )

 

Phil....


Who do you consider me to be?! Of course I have a PS3 😄 http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/profile?user.id=1299711

 


ScottD wrote:

 

Yes, it is possible. Many of our customers use their own authentication and registration systems to allow access to their communities on the Lithium platform without a second login.

 


My company is concerned  with their budget and what they are able to spend.  They haved looked into competitors such as PhpBB and Vbulletin boards.  I am under the impression that those boards can use single log in as well.  I am aware that Lithium offers many features they do not and is more versitile.  I am trying my best to sell them on Lithium, are there any more details I can tell my managment why you guys are ftw? 😛

Cheers

 

 

CollinC,

 

Budgets are always a challenge, and free or near free products like phpBB or Vbulletin are difficult to argue against in terms of  just cost if one only looks at the application  of message boards and the hosting, and not at expansion, upgrades, customization, metrics, and the range of services behind them.

 

I wouldn't compare those products against Lithium, but rather against themselves.  I would compare Lithium against other SaaS providers that are more in Lithium's class like liveworld or Mzinga.  There are several other players, and I'd recommend looking at some of the client communities that are running on  each these platforms - how do they look?  What kinds of features have they implemented?    

I'd look at the client lists for these vendors - what kinds of enterprises - technology companies, communication companies, media companies, consumer industries, etc are using which platform?

 

Who is moving from one platform to another?  What seems to be the trend? 

 

(To clarify on this point, visit the depicted client lists of some of the SaaS providers - how up to date is the list?  Can you click through to see the client community and see what platform it's running on - looking for the little 'powered by xxxxx' in the footer.   Doing a bit of clicking myself, I find that some clients on some platforms may have moved on - who are they running now?)

 

What is the "wisdom of the crowd" - Why did they decide to go the direction they did?

 

Lastly...

 

How accessible are the people behind the platform?   Lithium has invested and put themselves out here with the Lithosphere - a community about community - and you can talk to, and interact with a lot of the company here in the Lithosphere.  I think that's an amazing feat of transparency - to put your people, on your product and invite your customers in to interact, to kick the tires.   

 

Mark