Forum Discussion

8 months ago

"1" was searched 1,755 + 501 times one day in August?

What on earth could this be?  Our community is closed to open registrations, and SSO authentication only. 

• I've had something similar in the past, but most recently on these two days in September. Searches for "20." I assume it's just some bot and since it went away, I didn't chase it down.

• If you click into the day you can see what the most commonly used search terms were. it may give some insight. We had a couple of days like this and it seemed to be terms involving "nessus_was_" which according to google is likely related to a security scanning tool. 

• Bots. We had a bot that over 6 months kept doing 2x the traffic every month, growing from 10k views to 20k views…0k..80k… etc. For months we thought our traffic was growing for views.  Turns out after a deep dive 6 months later it was a single bot causing hundreds of thousands of views because of it doing endless searches. Our analytics are unfortunately forever jacked as a result. Our own fault for not paying attention to search data I guess.