Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Add custom text input fields to the post editor?

Still a bit new to "FreeMarker" and "endpoints" and such, but that's where support directed us...  Hours later of poring through the docs, and trying to find someone else's previous question on the subject, I find I need help!

Here's what I want to do -- for a couple of the restricted sub-forums in our community, we want to add two unique input fields to the post editor -- let's say "serial number" and "case number".  The user enters those along with the normal post content, hits Post, and then those fields are displayed with the article, let's say between the title and the post content.

For a possibility, I came across something about post's metadata, but I've got no idea how to add fields to populate that, or display that data with the post.

A pointer to any example at all as to how we can add custom input fields of any sort would be a great help; then I can take it from there and figure out the specifics.

• Hi Bill,

at this moment, such customization needs to engage Lithium Professional Services. it is not achievable via Lithium Studio alone.

You may have to work out the detailed ECR scoping with your Lithium contact, it can include, but not limited to

1. add metadata to the message object (you may indicate whether those metadata are searchable or not)
    2. custom form for additional metadata
    3. show those additional form fields on certain boards only, i.e. hide those fields on other boards
    4. create new form validators to ensure the input to additional fields are correct
    5. display the additional fields on Topic page/Reply page, message listing pages and etc.

I hope that it helps.

HaidongG
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi Bill,

at this moment, such customization needs to engage Lithium Professional Services. it is not achievable via Lithium Studio alone.

You may have to work out the detailed ECR scoping with your Lithium contact, it can include, but not limited to

1. add metadata to the message object (you may indicate whether those metadata are searchable or not)
    2. custom form for additional metadata
    3. show those additional form fields on certain boards only, i.e. hide those fields on other boards
    4. create new form validators to ensure the input to additional fields are correct
    5. display the additional fields on Topic page/Reply page, message listing pages and etc.

I hope that it helps.

billtrainor
      Guide
      Thanks for the tip. With everything we *can* do to customize the platform, it seems we keep coming up with those little additional cases that we can't. Ah well!