Forum Discussion

sullysnack
Khoros Alumni (Retired)
9 years ago

API for /view/allowed state of a board, but not for current user

Hi Lithium developers,

In a custom component, on a forum topic page, is there a way to figure if the topic's board node is publicly viewable?

I am familiar with this REST API call:

/boards/id/${board.id}/view/allowed

but it seems to give true or false only for the current user based on his/her role permissions. Say the current user is an admin or a moderator, can the custom component know if topics in the current board can be visited by an anonymous visitor?

Thanks,

Dave

ChhamaJ
    Khoros Staff
    Hi There,

The rest call in the custom components is run using the current user's context. Can I know the use case so that I can advise you better?

Regards,
    Chhama
      sullysnack
      Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Yes, consider a custom social sharing widget which appears on all forum topic pages. The widget will show on topic pages of active admin-only boards. When an administrator shares the topic page url to Facebook, Facebook's OG info parser cannot access the url. When an administrator shares the topic page url to Twitter, any recipient of the tweet can click on the url but will see either a Lithium error page or the Lithium log in page. If a regular user logs in, they'll see a permission denied error. We want to prevent any user with elevated permissions from ever sharing a protected post publicly.

ChhamaJ
        Khoros Staff

Got it. For this you will have to create a component on the client side and not server side. Use javascript to create the component and make the boards/id/${board.id}/view/allowed or messages/view/allowed  api call as an anonymous user.  If it returns true, then share it else not. Currently there is no way you can achieve this via freemarker since all the rest calls run as the user in context.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
        Chhama