Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Apostrophes converted to question marks

Has anyone seen this issue of apostrophes being converted to question marks? I noticed this on one post, and it appears this way on both mobile and desktop. The user obviously intended to type apostrophes, but they were all converted to question marks.

http://screencast.com/t/NdQYmsGr8mur

• It's possible the author wrote the message in Microsoft Word and copied the text over.  Word uses smart or 'curly' quotes which don't always render correctly in browsers. 

NoamanA
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

It's possible the author wrote the message in Microsoft Word and copied the text over.  Word uses smart or 'curly' quotes which don't always render correctly in browsers. 

Samantha_O
      Champion

Hi! 

I wanted to ask a follow up question after your response to this post.  When posting in our Community, I often use the "Paste from Word" function.  I noticed today that when I was using the Spell Check before posting it was showing anything with an apostrophe was spelled incorrectly.  The words were not spelled wrong, but they did contain the "curly quotes" from word.  After changing them to be a regular apostrophe, the word was not showing as misspelled.  (Examples of the words that were "misspelled" We're or wouldn't)

Is this functioning as it was designed or is this something that is a possible bug? 

Thanks!

Samantha

NoamanA
        Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hey Samantha

You're right, this does appear to be a bug with tinymce.  We're rolling out a new version of the editor (v4) in which paste covers all pasting functions, ie there's no longer a separate Paste from word button.  I thought perhaps this version might have ironed out this bug but unfortunately not.  Tinymce is a 3rd party plugin, although we have some control over the spellcheck dictionary, many of the inbuilt functionality, including interpretation of pasted characters are simply used out of the box.

I'll check whether we have a process for reporting/following tinymce bugs and keep you updated with anything I find.

Regards

Noaman