Forum Discussion

5 years ago

Backup skin in Khoros

Hello All,

We are planning to do changes in the  custom skin we are currently using.

Two questions

1)Is it possible to backup the files used in the current skin before we proceed to do changes to existing skin?

2)Is building a new skin the best way to proceed in this scenario.

Thanks,

Ragu.V

• You might be able to ask support to send you a backup, but that shouldn't be necessary. 

Every time you click save in studio, the change is recorded in the Versions tab in Studio (this is backed by version control). If you ever make a mistake, you can revert to a previous version when it was working.

You could also create a new skin, and set the custom skin as the parent skin, so changes you make would only apply to the new skin. I wouldn't consider this best practice (the more changes you make the harder it becomes to manage the different styles in the two skins), but it is an option.

MattV
    Khoros Staff

You might be able to ask support to send you a backup, but that shouldn't be necessary. 

Every time you click save in studio, the change is recorded in the Versions tab in Studio (this is backed by version control). If you ever make a mistake, you can revert to a previous version when it was working.

You could also create a new skin, and set the custom skin as the parent skin, so changes you make would only apply to the new skin. I wouldn't consider this best practice (the more changes you make the harder it becomes to manage the different styles in the two skins), but it is an option.

• Thank you MattV  for the response. I am creating a new skin for this.

1)How can we know what is the skin currently in use?

2)How to switch to newly created skin for community? Do we have any settings.

Thanks,

Ragu.V

MattV
        Khoros Staff

You can check and set the skin in Admin > Display > Skins