Forum Discussion

11 years ago

Browser support

Hi again, 

Do people run into problems with Lithium when running it in IE7? I've tried a virtual machine, ie tester, and ie10 running ie7 compatability mode and they all hang badly and the experience is pretty unresponsive. Does Lithium support IE7?

Thanks

R

• We have managed to get communities working on IE7 (although often not looking quite as nice). I would definitely second what cblown said about VMs - there are a number of different tools that supposedly let you test on different versions of IE, but the only way to be sure is to use a dedicated machine (virtual or physical).

• The joys of having a Vista machine with IE7 to test it... it's pretty spotty, and not everything seems to work as designed, so I would not recommend it...

• thanks for that... says i dont have enough privilages to view... but your answer covers it

cblown
        Boss

We test as far back as IE7 and our Communities usually render fine. We do employ conditional comments to hack IE7 though. The default doc type is XHTML so IE shouldn't go into quirks mode (unless you have broken markup). We normally follow suit with Google on browser compatiblity, so IE7 should be considered done and dusted..

One thing worth mentioning, we had terrible results using the developer tools rendering modes in IE9 and IE10 trying to simulate IE7.. forget it.. its rubbish. Use an XP virtual machine with a "real" version of IE7. I've lost far too much hair already on this not to pass that on.. :)