Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Can a variable be used as a Macro parameter?

For example:

<#macro repeat count>
  <#list 1..count as x>
    <#nested>
  </#list>
</#macro>

<#assign boardCount= rest("categories/id/sales/boards/count").value/>

<@repeat count={boardCount} > <li class="detail-tile-shim"></li> </@repeat>

What is the correct way to achieve this?

cike
    8 years ago

Hi cstone,

simply remove the curly braces from the variable name you want to use in your macro:

<#assign count = boardCount % 3 />
    <@repeat count=count >
    <li class="detail-tile-shim"></li>
    </@repeat>

Cheers,

Christian

• Hi cstone  yes, variable can be used as a macro parameter. Can you please explain what's your requirement. Might be that can be achieved in a easier way.

cstone
      Ace

Hey VikasB, thanks for the reply. The example code I added results in errors. What is the correct syntax for passing in a variable as parameter to a macro?

Here is what I am trying to achieve:

• I am creating a listing of our Boards for the CategoryPage, in the form of "tiles"
      • The tiles are arranged in rows of 3, depending on how many Boards are present in a given Category, the final row may have 1 tile, 2 tiles, or 3 titles (if the total count is divisible by 3)
      • When there are less than 3 tiles in the final row, I need to add a "shim", so the final tile is the same width as the rest of the tiles.

I plan to achieve this by getting a count of the boards and calculating the remainder when divided by 3:

<#assign boardCount= rest("categories/id/{coreNode.title}/boards/count?restapi.response_style=view").value/>

<#macro repeat count>
      <#list 1..count as x>
      <#nested>
      </#list>
      </#macro>

<@repeat count={boardCount % 3} >
      </@repeat>

If I hard code the count to be something like "2" it works just fine but I keep getting errors when adding a variable as the value of "count" in that macro. 

cike
        Champion

Hi cstone,

simply remove the curly braces from the variable name you want to use in your macro:

<#assign count = boardCount % 3 />
        <@repeat count=count >
        </@repeat>

Cheers,

Christian