Forum Discussion

6 years ago

Change how Khoros loads CSS

Hello. We recently made a DNS change and it is affecting the way our community is loading our css. 

We changed our community homepage to be located at "custom.website.com/community" as such the css is not loading because it's looking for it at "custom.website.com/skins" when it does not reside there, it resides at "khoros.community.com/skins"

I was wondering two things.

1. Is it possible to tell our community to load the css explicitly from another domain? Even though users come into "custom.website.com/community" we can send the request to "khoros.community.com" that way the css is loaded from "khoros.community.com/skins" instead

2. Is it possible to modify the route for the css request? This way we can send the request to "custom.website.com/community/skins" instead of "khoros.community.com/skins". This also requires us to put all the css into "/skins/community". Is that possible as well?

• Hi Christopher, I think there are a couple of different concerns here that affect the answer:

• It looks like your community is pre-launch. You might be seeing some behaviors that will be different on the production instance at launch time, since the prod instance needs to support real user traffic. For example:
    • Typically we provide a CDN and use that to serve CSS assets, so these come from a domain like yourcommunity.i.lithium.com -- they would not come from your domain, by design. But for now, your stage and prod communities are set to use no CDN.
    • It sounds & looks like you are set up to use a reverse proxy in order to place the community underneath a "sub-path" on your domain. This is a non-standard setup so configuration is a little bit trickier. We will need to know details like exactly which domain & path will house the community, as well as some other "tech contract" details about proxy headers.

I can tell you that if everything has been set up correctly on our end, we will generate working URLs that go to either a CDN or to the correct URL on your site, which will proxy through to the community. We can make sure every community URL is under your designated path. If this isn't happening right now, it's possible that you're seeing a configuration problem. I looked over your config, and I believe you are missing the "webserver.servicePathChar" entry -- please file a Support ticket.

You mentioned DNS changes -- please make sure to inform Support & your launch contact(s) if you plan to change your domain name or details of your proxy implementation. We will want to make sure everything on our end is configured for the change.

AndrewF
    Khoros Oracle

Hi Christopher, I think there are a couple of different concerns here that affect the answer:

• It looks like your community is pre-launch. You might be seeing some behaviors that will be different on the production instance at launch time, since the prod instance needs to support real user traffic. For example:
    • Typically we provide a CDN and use that to serve CSS assets, so these come from a domain like yourcommunity.i.lithium.com -- they would not come from your domain, by design. But for now, your stage and prod communities are set to use no CDN.
    • It sounds & looks like you are set up to use a reverse proxy in order to place the community underneath a "sub-path" on your domain. This is a non-standard setup so configuration is a little bit trickier. We will need to know details like exactly which domain & path will house the community, as well as some other "tech contract" details about proxy headers.

I can tell you that if everything has been set up correctly on our end, we will generate working URLs that go to either a CDN or to the correct URL on your site, which will proxy through to the community. We can make sure every community URL is under your designated path. If this isn't happening right now, it's possible that you're seeing a configuration problem. I looked over your config, and I believe you are missing the "webserver.servicePathChar" entry -- please file a Support ticket.

You mentioned DNS changes -- please make sure to inform Support & your launch contact(s) if you plan to change your domain name or details of your proxy implementation. We will want to make sure everything on our end is configured for the change.