Forum Discussion

BradR
Khoros Alumni (Retired)
11 years ago

Changing Custom Profile Fields

Hi Dev,

if I changed the type or size  of a custom profile field, what effects does this have on the data currently stored in the field?

• my 0.02.

our data structure @ database are not affected by our validation rules set inside plugin. plugin valuation rules will affect the UI level.

for example, our OOTB login name is 15 characters, if you reduce the size to 10 characters, any username in database with > 10 characters will not be truncated, other people can still view his profile with a > 10 characters username. However, any new user can't register a new login name with more than 10 characters. and those people with username > 10 characters will not be able to login as the login page only allows 10 characters.

HaidongG
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

my 0.02.

our data structure @ database are not affected by our validation rules set inside plugin. plugin valuation rules will affect the UI level.

for example, our OOTB login name is 15 characters, if you reduce the size to 10 characters, any username in database with > 10 characters will not be truncated, other people can still view his profile with a > 10 characters username. However, any new user can't register a new login name with more than 10 characters. and those people with username > 10 characters will not be able to login as the login page only allows 10 characters.