Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Chrome 62 - October SSL Changes

Hi All,

Thought I would share this with you to give a heads up, it appears Chrome 62 will be shipping in October and we received notice from Google that unless your site uses SSL for all pages it'll start showing warnings to users that the site is insecure whenever they enter data (for example into the search field).

This is part of Google's push to move all sites to adopt HTTPS and future versions of Chrome will block access to non HTTPS sites by default. 

More info from Google on their blog article  Next steps toward more connection security  

We got notice that our community which we have partial HTTPS enabled on will be affected unless we switch over to HTTPS, we've held off as switching fully over breaks some of the SDK functionality around skin development through the li serve-sass function, but we cannot hold off any longer.

On the SDK side, I'm looking at workarounds for the loss of local skin compilation as this was a great timesaver in our workflow. Unfortunately the old workaroudn of enabling mixed/insecure content in browser settings appears to be getting phased out, we can no longer use this option in Safari so that breaks our testing/workflow for that browser and iOS devices and I suspect Google may eventually do the same.

Has anyone managed to successfully workaround using li serve-sass in the SDK with HTTPS enabled fully on the community?

• Hi,

Feel your pain, don't have any help sadly as our community was already full https however my help site built on Drupal was using varnish as a cache and that doesn't support secure so had a rush of dev on that site to get fully secure before October.

Good luck finding a solution. 

RobertT
      Boss

I've managed to find a solution, at least for the workflow on Macs, still exploring a workaround for windows users and the SDK with HTTPS.

Essentially on my Mac I've set up the inbuild Apache web server with SSL enabled, generated the SSL certificate locally for that and configured apache appropriately, then set up sym links to point to where the directories that are generated by the serve-sass command when it is running, allows me to serve up the local skin over HTTPS on my local machine.

A bit of a chore to set up but at least that's working for me, as I said need to find a way to fix this for Windows users, I know the SDK isn't supported on Windows but I do know how to install it and get it working properly there :).