Forum Discussion

peterlu
Champion
9 years ago

code snippet for social meta tags (open graph and twitter)

Hi All,

I am thinking sharing these codes that I have been using for ages. I hope it can help someone.

<#if page.name == "CommunityPage">
<meta property="og:title" content="${coreNode.title?html}"/>
<meta property="og:description" content="Making it easier to join the conversation, get help, and share your thoughts."/>
<#elseif page.name == "ForumTopicPage">
<meta property="og:title" content="${page.context.thread.topicMessage.subject?html} - ${community.title?html}"/>
<meta property="og:description" content="I found this useful post on XXX Forum"/>
</#if>

<meta property="og:image" content="${asset.get("/html/assets/community-icon.png")}"/>
<meta property="og:site_name" content="${community.title?html}"/>
<meta property="og:type" content="website"/>

<meta name="twitter:card" content="summary"/>
<meta name="twitter:image" content="${asset.get("/html/assets/community-icon.png")}"/>
  • Hi peterlu

thanks for sharing. For information, if using the above (or similar custom tags) ode make sure that the Lithium Opengraph configuration is turned off (see more here), to avoid conflicting tags on the pages.

Cheers,

PaoloT
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi peterlu

thanks for sharing. For information, if using the above (or similar custom tags) ode make sure that the Lithium Opengraph configuration is turned off (see more here), to avoid conflicting tags on the pages.

Cheers,

Juulia
      Contributor

Hi PaoloT

does this code snippet for OG meta tag still work? Since July it's not possible to change the headline, body text and image that appeared in the News Feed preview on Facebook. To get Facebook optimized posts we need OG meta tags for our blog posts published on our community.

Cheers,

Juulia

PaoloT
        Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi Juulia

if you have noticed a change since recently - that might be a bug one of the recent releases, or a change in configuration. My suggestion is to raise this with our Support department so that they can investigate and help you in setting it up correctly, or flagging it to the relevant Lithium team.

Kind Regards,

• Does anyone know if there's a way to dynamically control or overirde the image used in the twitter card image tag?

For instance, rather than specifying a single image that displays in the card for all pages, I want to try and use the cover image for a topic to drive the image shown in the twitter card. 

Something like:

<meta name="twitter:image" content=" <variable that pulls in cover image for page in question, if it exists!> "/>

peterlu
      Champion
      miles you can use API v2 to get the message cover photo

SELECT cover_image FROM messages WHERE id = '${page.context.thread.topicMessage. uniqueId}'

And you need to add some <#if logic just in case the cover_image is empty