Forum Discussion

Jadah
Helper
2 years ago

Community Landing Page

Hi there, 

Our team is planning to create a landing page for our community, in-house. Has anyone in the community done this before with Khoros and be willing to share any resources to get started? I'd appreciate any tips or direction as we scope out this project (Khoros documents, an example of a project plan, any tech needs, etc) 

Can we leverage HTML/CSS/JavaScript coding directly within the platform? 

Thanks!

• You can do anything you imagine in Khoros, though some of it can be a bit ancient until their new Aurora upgrade is out.

community.Upwork.com is our community, a lot of customization with a lot left, but we’ve built an entirely in-house learning platform, landing pages, moderator tools, and endless other things.

Always happy to chat/answer any questions as I usually learn a lot myself - Feel free to hit me up.

Jadah
      Helper

Beautiful & Thanks! Just sent a DM 🙂

• Yes, you can (depending on the effort you want to make) basically do whatever you like. Whoever does the customization needs to get "acquainted" with how Khoros does things, which can be a bit of a learning curve. Here are a few tips:

I recommend not modifying the out of the box quilts (pages) when possible but create a custom one, so for a landing page this is usually CategoryPage, you click that little "Show XML" switch on the top right, then just copy everything from that quilt (or if you already use a custom one, copy the XML contents of that, which you need to check in admin , pages are inherited, so gotta go top-down in the community structure use that purple box for quick switching), make a new quilt and call it CategoryPage.<custom.name> (to activate it you'll need to select it in the dropdown on that admin page linked above), paste the XML and save, now you have custom page where you can play around with layouts and out of the box and custom components.

All of this can technically be done without any developer experience. Once you need a bit more customizations you'll get into the development of custom components which will involve knowing FreeMarker and Khoros API's, CSS and JavaScript, reference the Khoros docs for more about this stuff (Ask your Khoros CSM for access for your Atlas account if you can't see these pages).

Of course we can help as well if you need any external support.

• Hi Danhel,

We have bulit community landing pages to lot on communities on Khoros.

Please let me know if we can connect to discuss it more.

GrazittiI