Forum Discussion

9 years ago

Correct Reply Count with API 2

Scenario:

One Topic with two replies.

First reply was, obviously, a reply to the OP.

Second reply was a reply to the first reply.

Using the original API(/threads/id/<id>/replies/count) I get: 2.

Using API 2 (SELECT count(*) FROM messages WHERE parent.id = '<id>') I get: 1.

Now, I did this test because I was getting this mismatch on an existing topic and I figured that the issue is the "parent" in the "parent.id". Because the second reply was a reply to the reply and not, technically a reply to the OP, it isn't being nested and not considered a child of the topic (I guess)?

Is this a bug, or is there another, better, way to count ALL replies/messages in a topic?

• PerBonomi VarunGrazitti Using APIv2 you could query for the message count of the whole conversation:

SELECT conversation.messages_count FROM messages WHERE id = '<id>' AND depth = 0

The conversation.messages_count includes the original post. To get the count of all replies only you could simply do something like

<#assign true_reply_count = (messages_count?number - 1) />

Kind regards,

Christian

• PerBonomi VarunGrazitti Using APIv2 you could query for the message count of the whole conversation:

SELECT conversation.messages_count FROM messages WHERE id = '<id>' AND depth = 0

The conversation.messages_count includes the original post. To get the count of all replies only you could simply do something like

<#assign true_reply_count = (messages_count?number - 1) />

Kind regards,

Christian

• PerBonomi - I ran the same tests and I think this is a bug when you compare V1 with the V2. Here's how:

I created a posts and replied to OP. Results for V2:

SELECT count(*) FROM messages WHERE parent.id = '2578'

Count - 1

Results for V1:

/restapi/vc/threads/id/2578/replies/count

Count - 1

So far, good.

Now, I reply to the reply. Results for V2

SELECT count(*) FROM messages WHERE parent.id = '2578'

Count - 1

Results for V1

Count - 2

The issue seems to be with the V1 call here, ideally, the call should be made as 

/restapi/vc/messages/id/2578/replies/count

but, this call still returns count as 2, whereas it should only return the replies of the OP, i.e. 1 in case we are making the call as /messages, because /threads means overall thread whilst the /message means we are specifying a parent post.

At present, there is no difference in the results of both the following calls when made for OP

/restapi/vc/messages/id/2578/replies/count