Forum Discussion

samudhraa
Expert
11 years ago

Count of Popular topics at Category level

Hi All ,

How can I get a count of popular topics at category level or Is it possible to get the number of messages in kudoed message leaderboard. I am trying to a custom component for popular topics in forum (most kudoed) using ,

kudos/messages/leaderboard

However I need to paginate this , for which I am using Lithium's in built pagination component which requires a total count of all the messages in leaderboard.

Thanks,

Sam

• Hi Sam,

Are you trying to get a count of messages that have kudos in a category, or are you trying to get a sum of all the kudos given in a category?

If the former, you could probably do a search for messages in the category that have kudos, using the "has_kudos" filter. For example:

/restapi/vc/search/messages/count?location=category%3ADeveloper&has_kudos=true&collapse_discussion=false

This would give you count of all of the messages in the "Developer" category that have kudos. To get the actual messages, you could just remove the "/count" path parameter.

If you're wanting a sum of all the kudos instead, you could probably do so using the metrics call for a category:

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/rest-api/bd-p/developers-rest-api?leaf-id=Category.metrics#Category.metrics

You would just need to determine the name of the metric (you can find this in the admin) and the desired time range.

AdamN
    Khoros Oracle

Hi Sam,

Are you trying to get a count of messages that have kudos in a category, or are you trying to get a sum of all the kudos given in a category?

If the former, you could probably do a search for messages in the category that have kudos, using the "has_kudos" filter. For example:

/restapi/vc/search/messages/count?location=category%3ADeveloper&has_kudos=true&collapse_discussion=false

This would give you count of all of the messages in the "Developer" category that have kudos. To get the actual messages, you could just remove the "/count" path parameter.

If you're wanting a sum of all the kudos instead, you could probably do so using the metrics call for a category:

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/rest-api/bd-p/developers-rest-api?leaf-id=Category.metrics#Category.metrics

You would just need to determine the name of the metric (you can find this in the admin) and the desired time range.

samudhraa
      Expert

Hi AdamN ,

Thanks for your response. It gave me some direction to solve my issue.

I am trying to get the former - the count of messages that have kudos in a cateogory. I tried the REST call you mentioned , but I got 0 values of count , and no messages.

I tried to modify the REST call , by querying within the category , simply for messages , without the has_kudos parameter (/categories/id/categoryId/search/messages) . I even tried a global search.

But I am still getting empty response , when I know for a fact there are 4 messages with kudoes. 

May be I am missing something ?

Thanks,

Sam

samudhraa
        Expert

Looks like I caught  myself. When I searched for a text ,using the q parameter , it returned an appropriate response. 

ie., when I used something like this

/categories/id/catId/search/messages?q=appit&has_kudos=true

I got a list of messages.

Now I would just have to figure out what to use as search parameter that would include all messages.

Thanks again AdamN.

Regards,

Sam