Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Creating a post with an email

I am trying to implement a feature for internal/employee users of forums. Basically, I want to make it possible for an employee to send a question to an internal email address and then that question gets posted as a new post.

From there, the "Reply by Email" feature should take over, so that answers get appropriately associated with the person doing the answering.

Basically, I want to make an old school Mailing List / Network News gateway, but using Exchange and Lithium.

Anyone try this?

• Yes, actually!  We are building out the requirements now.  Essentially, I'm thinking of using board_id@community.domain.com as the email address.  That will be intercepted by my server and a script that will parse the email and use the REST API to add a new thread to board_id.  If board_id does not exist, the script will send a reply back to the user letting them know that the board is unknown.  I'm not thinking of doing two-factor confirmation here since this is an internal thing.  We may have to change that depending on what spamage we see.

The script will be hosted on a UNIX platform, and community.domain.com will have an MX record that points to this UNIX server.

xorrkaz
        Genius

Sure.  It may be a while before I have it done, though.