Forum Discussion

Inactive User
13 years ago

Creating custom User Registration Form using REST API

As Win 8 is coming soon, our developer is trying to work on a project that can dispaly forum content in Win 8 machine. 

We're using REST API for retrieving and displaying data. However, we have a challenge with registering new users in our own registration form. We learnt that we must first be authenticated as an administrator in order to submit new user data for registration purpose. Obviously it isn't practical to embed administrator access into our Windows 8 application so I'd like to explore other options.

Is there a way to create a custom registration form which we can display in our application to register a new user?

Appreciate anyone's help.

JakeR
      Khoros Oracle

Yes, what you are seeing is accurate.  We do not have a REST API call for registering, but rather, only logging in (authenticating).

Though I am not technical, my gut tells me that this is due to a security protocol.

Anyway, we have a number of other customers that skirt around this very easilty, but that is because they use Single Sign On. 

My understanding is that your community is not using Single Sign On today.  If you move to Single Sign On, you will then have control of registration (and the registration page, workflow, etc), so you can fall back to using the Lithium "login" REST API call after the user has registered already through your side. 

• Jake,

Appreciate the wisdom of the Oracle as always!   Could you also check with the elder Lithium gods to see if any cleverness that could otherwise get us around this exists on some arcane scroll tucked away on a shelf, or in a bottom drawer of someone's desk?

SSO may be in the cards for us, but I want to leave no stone unturned. :manwink:

Thanks

Mark

• It is good question to the Lithium gurus.
    In any case, does anybody know the following:
    can I use "Community/users/add" method for registering new user?
      AdamN
      Khoros Oracle

iahiqosolutions wrote:
      It is good question to the Lithium gurus.
      In any case, does anybody know the following:
      can I use "Community/users/add" method for registering new user?

You can use "users/add" for registering new accounts; however, it requires the user performing the action to have the "Manage Users" permission. This permission is typically reserved for Administrator users because it's a powerful permission, so as others mentioned in the thread, you'd need to ensure the account that you were using to register others has sufficient permission.