Forum Discussion

Jason
Boss
14 years ago

Custom Avatar Set

Does anyone know where I can find the guidelines for creating a custom avatar set?

• Hey Jason,

This article spells  out the standard image sized for avatars.

This article
    links you to the Advanced Studio Guide, which contains more info on avatars and on managing them.

Within the size constraints, go for it!

...Susan

SusanM
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hey Jason,

This article
    links you to the Advanced Studio Guide, which contains more info on avatars and on managing them.

...Susan

Jason
      Boss
      Thanks so much! A question I'm getting now is if we upload a custom collection, can we have *only* those available, and none from the standard collections?
      AndyGorzalski
      Contributor
      Thanks SusanM, is this the most up to date? We will be creating custom avatar families for our new community. Should designer design all sizes laid out in 1st link? or can we create a master size and then that automatically gets resized within system based on where its displayed? Just want to make sure we are designing correct assets and specs.
        SusanM
        Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi Andy,

Yes, the sizes listed in the first link are up to date. As to whether you cretae the master size or all sizes, it's up to you. If you just create the master size, it's less work for you. The system resizes the image, which can lead to a very slight delay in displaying it the first time. Thereafter, the resized image is cached and available as needed.

OTOH, if you create all the sizes yourself, you can control the quality of each size and what is shown. For example, you might want one of the smaller sizes to display only part of the larger image.

Bottom line, if it were my community and I had a graphics person at my beck and call (however briefly), I'd do all the images in-house rather than just the master size.

Hope this helps.

...Susan

darkstar
      Helper

SusanM wrote:

Hey Jason,

This article

...Susan

The 2nd article link is broken. I would like to learn more on managing avatars. 

Paul-Fitzp
        Guide

I'd like to see the second artilce as well if possible?

Could the link be updated.