Forum Discussion

Tim_h
Boss
9 years ago

Custom component repository

I'm going to throw this out there.

There is a huge gap in the creation of custom components. Between both versions of the API there is a lot you can do. But there's still a lot of work required to do things. You're always starting from scratch. Even when you know someone else's great idea.

What I really want to see, right here in the Lithium community is a custom component repository with version control and forking.

I want to be able to write a component that pulls in the specific data I need and have it easily accesible to others.

I want other developers to jump in and edit the layout so it has the default header, footer and columns correct with CSS classes.

Someone else to optimise a loop and speed it up.

And then visible to everyone to one click add to their stage.

And if it updates AFTER I've added it to my community, then an alert in Studio lets me choose to pull in the new version of the component.

Some of what we build is closed and we'll keep it, but there's other times we could all just chip in.

I think it's a pretty big addition to the product and would be happy to contribute.

Any thoughts?

• We'd be more than happy to share our expertise where we can. 

• I love this idea!  I've been able to benefit from some code posts in the past and would be happy to share some of the customizations that I've done.   Even if Studio alerts, forking, or other advanced features were not part of an initial repository just having a basic code library where you can put anything from the smallest snippets to full components (including endpoints and macros) would be very useful.

For posting or updating it could help to require some meta info about the component such as the release it runs/written on, required settings or other dependencies, usage, description, some reasonable documentation....the usual stuff.    Count me in!