Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Custom Components

Hello,

Does anyone knows how to create boxes like Lithium main page? 

boxes.png

• skylinegtr - It depends on what exactly your requirements are. In our case, we wanted the configurable areas which the community managers can update on the fly without any HTML/ JS knowledge, so we developed them accordingly. In the example I gave, the community managers just need to provide the path of the image, add the description, and the red links below it are the featured articles/ blogs/ threads. So all in all, it is pretty much straight forward for the community managers.

How did we do it?

We created a Custom Component which parse the JSON data from the Custom Content in the admin (So community managers can update it on the fly). The JSON data is generated from a tool which we created for them, which requires image path, description, category or board ID. The generated code is then pasted in the Custom content in the admin and there you go, your changes will reflect on the front end. Every time you need to update the content, paste the existing JSON in the tool, update it paste it back.

I hope this helps.
      skylinegtr
      Mentor

Hi Alok,

Thanks for the info. I've tried it, and it doesn't seem to work. Can you provide me the steps on how you created yours?

Thank you!

VarunGrazitti
        Boss
        skylinegtr - It depends on what exactly your requirements are. In our case, we wanted the configurable areas which the community managers can update on the fly without any HTML/ JS knowledge, so we developed them accordingly. In the example I gave, the community managers just need to provide the path of the image, add the description, and the red links below it are the featured articles/ blogs/ threads. So all in all, it is pretty much straight forward for the community managers.

How did we do it?

We created a Custom Component which parse the JSON data from the Custom Content in the admin (So community managers can update it on the fly). The JSON data is generated from a tool which we created for them, which requires image path, description, category or board ID. The generated code is then pasted in the Custom content in the admin and there you go, your changes will reflect on the front end. Every time you need to update the content, paste the existing JSON in the tool, update it paste it back.

I hope this helps.