Forum Discussion

2 years ago

"Did this solve your problem?"

I am trying to figure out how prompt users to respond to whether an answer solves their question. If they say "yes/solved" we'd close it out on the backend. If they say  "no" it would indicate that we need to try again.

I know you can trigger emails, but how do we keep the board looking good so that there aren't unanswered questions?

• Hi sparkygirl 

As far as prompting a user I'm not quite sure when you envision that prompt happening. When the original author returns to the thread on the community? What if there are multiple replies? If you could share some more details, it could probably be done.

We spent the last year or so really working to bring up our accepted solution rate. One platform change we made was to make the "Accept as Solution" button the most prominent thing on the page.

But we also had our moderators start private messaging the original authors if it appeared there was a solution and asking them to accept it. The messaging we use explains that marking an accepted solution helps other community members find answers.

If we receive no response to that, we sometimes ask our "Champions" (what we call our super users) to mark a solution on behalf of the author if they see one that looks valid. Our community team doesn't have the required product expertise to make that call (we sell a variety of engineering and manufacturing software), but our Champions do, and we have given them the permission required to mark solutions and empowered them to do so when we ask.

That has been very effective, and we've brought our accepted solution rate up over 50% consistently, which was our goal. Mostly, this is due to the moderators communicating with the original authors. If you have people available to do that it works.

• Hi sparkygirl 

As far as prompting a user I'm not quite sure when you envision that prompt happening. When the original author returns to the thread on the community? What if there are multiple replies? If you could share some more details, it could probably be done.

We spent the last year or so really working to bring up our accepted solution rate. One platform change we made was to make the "Accept as Solution" button the most prominent thing on the page.

But we also had our moderators start private messaging the original authors if it appeared there was a solution and asking them to accept it. The messaging we use explains that marking an accepted solution helps other community members find answers.

If we receive no response to that, we sometimes ask our "Champions" (what we call our super users) to mark a solution on behalf of the author if they see one that looks valid. Our community team doesn't have the required product expertise to make that call (we sell a variety of engineering and manufacturing software), but our Champions do, and we have given them the permission required to mark solutions and empowered them to do so when we ask.

That has been very effective, and we've brought our accepted solution rate up over 50% consistently, which was our goal. Mostly, this is due to the moderators communicating with the original authors. If you have people available to do that it works.

• Thanks Akenefick 

We are basically using Khoros as a skin to cover an internal slack backend.  (Slack is where our answers are being worked out. We have little to no community user engagement and so must rely on employees, and employees don't want to engage with Khoros. So this is our happy medium, in that it still keeps the community alive and allows other-user answers, but doesn't annoy the employees.)

What I was hoping for was that when the original community post-er returned, they would be prompted with "is your problem fixed?" In that case, regardless of whether there are a variety of replies, we can close the thread on our slack backend.

• I'm not familiar with the slack side of things, but if you want to make a component that only shows for the original author, wrapping it in this should work.

<#if page.context.thread.topicMessage.author.login == user.login>

</#if>

You could add your prompt there and only the original author would see it. Then I think you would have to make any slack API call through a custom endpoint. Something else I'm not very familiar with, but maybe this can point you in the right direction.

Tutorial: Integrate with a third-party REST API (khoros.com)

http.client.request (khoros.com)