Forum Discussion

cs1991
Expert
10 years ago

Displaying First/Last Name in Post on a Per-Board Basis

I have a group of lead users who use three boards specifically for communication amongst themselves. One of the moves from using a forum like Google Groups were to give up the ability to show their First and Last Names in responses to each other. We lost that ability to build connections in the simpliest form by forcing them to only see each other's usernames. I would like to work at breaking that by displaying their names that we gather from our SSO and display them in the post for those few forums they use specifically. 

Based on what I can tell, I will need to add a component that will show X user information for only X users with this role using Freemarker. I don't see a way to only make it for the post listing within those forums. Is this something that is possible to do? Or am I disconnected from another way to do it?

Thank you for your help!

• cs1991 - You can display them inside these specific sections only, just put the code under conditions specifying the board names you'd like to show the fname and lname. There is no constraint to this, you just need to get the parent of the posts and if the parent of the post falls under your criteria, it'll show the full name, else default. Use the ancestors context object or use the /ancestor api.

Your changes will go inside the forum message quilt. Let me know if this helps.

cs1991
      Expert

Thanks for the confirmation  VarunGrazitti ! I found the ancestors context, so I will toy around with some different ideas and then I will reach out if I need additional help on this. I greatly apprecriate it!