Forum Discussion

nlouie
Adept
14 years ago

Edit Widgets

Hi there!

Before I jump in, I just want to say that it is my first time using Lithium so I'm not very too knowledgeable yet on how this thing runs, but i'm learning!

Anyways, I was wondering how I can add / remove widgets. Is this only done in Studio?

How do I access different board widgets in Studio?

I might have some questions later on, but I just need these answered for me first before I move on. Thank you!

Best regards,

Nick

• Hi Nick,

That's right, you can use Studio to control which widgets/components appear on pages, as well as the layout of those widgets in the page. Studio provides a very easy drag-and-drop UI to manage the placement of widgets.

When you open up Studio, the first page you see should be the "Page" tab. Next you'll want to choose the "Page Type" from the drop-down menu. This controls which page you're editing. Each page type is associated with certain pages within the Lithium platform.

For example, the "Community Page" is used for displaying the front page of the community (sometimes called the landing page). The "Category Page" is used for the category landing page. "Forum Page" is used for the forum/board landing page. There are many more page types to choose from as well.

To determine the page type of the application page you'd like to edit, bring up the source code in your browser or view the source using your favorite debugging tool (ie. Firebug). If you examine the body element and look at the class attribute, you should see the name of the page type included as one of the classes.

For example, let's say I wanted to modify the components on blog landing pages in the Lithosphere, like this page:

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Social-Customers-Matter/bg-p/Core_Matters

Bringing up FireBug:

page type.png

I've circled the page type in red, which in this case is "BlogPage". So to edit the the components, I'd bring up Studio and select "Blog Page" for the "Page Type". From there, I can drag and drop the components. Using the menu on the left, I can also choose from components to add to the page.

I hope this helps get you started in the right direction. I'd also highly reccomend checking out our documentation and training videos:

• Hi Nick,

I think this article should help get you going in the right direction:

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Customer-Connection-Private/Creating-a-custom-Category-page-using-Studio/ta-p/6121

Essentially, what you'd need to do is create a custom page type and name it something like "ForumPage.Custom1" (It doesn't have to be "Custom1", that's just an example). Then you'd apply the widgets needed to that custom page type. Finally, you'd need to apply that custom page type to the appropriate board via the Admin. The link above has a good walk through on how to make this happen.

I hope this helps!

AdamN
    Khoros Oracle

Hi Nick,

That's right, you can use Studio to control which widgets/components appear on pages, as well as the layout of those widgets in the page. Studio provides a very easy drag-and-drop UI to manage the placement of widgets.

When you open up Studio, the first page you see should be the "Page" tab. Next you'll want to choose the "Page Type" from the drop-down menu. This controls which page you're editing. Each page type is associated with certain pages within the Lithium platform.

For example, the "Community Page" is used for displaying the front page of the community (sometimes called the landing page). The "Category Page" is used for the category landing page. "Forum Page" is used for the forum/board landing page. There are many more page types to choose from as well.

To determine the page type of the application page you'd like to edit, bring up the source code in your browser or view the source using your favorite debugging tool (ie. Firebug). If you examine the body element and look at the class attribute, you should see the name of the page type included as one of the classes.

For example, let's say I wanted to modify the components on blog landing pages in the Lithosphere, like this page:

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Social-Customers-Matter/bg-p/Core_Matters

Bringing up FireBug:

page type.png

I've circled the page type in red, which in this case is "BlogPage". So to edit the the components, I'd bring up Studio and select "Blog Page" for the "Page Type". From there, I can drag and drop the components. Using the menu on the left, I can also choose from components to add to the page.

I hope this helps get you started in the right direction. I'd also highly reccomend checking out our documentation and training videos:

nlouie
      Adept

Thank you so much!

is there a way to enable specific widgets for each ForumPage/BoardPage?

For example, one board will display a group of widgets and another board will display a different set group of widgets.

AdamN
        Khoros Oracle

Hi Nick,

I think this article should help get you going in the right direction:

http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/Customer-Connection-Private/Creating-a-custom-Category-page-using-Studio/ta-p/6121

Essentially, what you'd need to do is create a custom page type and name it something like "ForumPage.Custom1" (It doesn't have to be "Custom1", that's just an example). Then you'd apply the widgets needed to that custom page type. Finally, you'd need to apply that custom page type to the appropriate board via the Admin. The link above has a good walk through on how to make this happen.

I hope this helps!