Forum Discussion

JustinBannister
Contributor
12 years ago

Editing Common Header

So I'm trying to redo my entire header, but I can't seem to find out where the exact HTML is. I see this user-navigation inside my header page selected instudio, but I want to get into the hard coded version to manipulate the entire thing. Is this possible?

• Hi Justin,

there are a few things that can be referred as "the header" depending on what you are referring to

• For each skin - you have an associated header. This is normally the very common header across all of your pages using a speicif skin (typically corporate navigation links for a community embedded within multiple web properties)
    • For each quilt - you can include an Header within it. This would be really the community's header. Normally you would define your header as a nestable quilt so that you define it once and include in the quilts that require it.

If instead you want to override the behaviour of the standard Lithium component "user-navigation" , then you can normally use the override metodology to tweak its behaviour but you normally cannot change all the internals of it - maybe in that case creating a custom component is the right way.

I hope that I gave you some insight on what you need to do :-)

Thanks,

PaoloT
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi Justin,

there are a few things that can be referred as "the header" depending on what you are referring to

• For each skin - you have an associated header. This is normally the very common header across all of your pages using a speicif skin (typically corporate navigation links for a community embedded within multiple web properties)
    • For each quilt - you can include an Header within it. This would be really the community's header. Normally you would define your header as a nestable quilt so that you define it once and include in the quilts that require it.

If instead you want to override the behaviour of the standard Lithium component "user-navigation" , then you can normally use the override metodology to tweak its behaviour but you normally cannot change all the internals of it - maybe in that case creating a custom component is the right way.

I hope that I gave you some insight on what you need to do :-)

Thanks,