Forum Discussion

2 years ago

Has anyone purchased/implemented FontAwesome Pro?

There are some icons I'd love to leverage.  Is that just on me to buy a license & implement the font? 

• Yes, we purchased a license and implemented it. Took a bit of fiddling to get some of the default Khoros icons switched over to the newest version of FA but it's been great. We started out using their kit which is super easy to implement but we were running into the usage limits pretty quickly so we moved to downloading all the files and uploading them in our assets. It's worked great so far for us.

• Did at previous company, I loved it solely because we built it into our components, so admins in Community could easily change the icons using a parameter for things like navigation tiles.  I'm not expert on the technical side, but I remember buying it and just throwing the code it gave me into the header or footer area before our engineer woke up and properly did it all ğŸ˜‚

• Sweet, thanks! 

I'm mainly trying to get those icons for some of the extras that aren't included in the free library.  But, I suppose the thin icons match our branding better than the OOTB icons. 

Swapping to the thin icons - is that a matter of uploading the new set, then adding a line of CSS per icon that needs swapped?  Or is there a way to mass-redirect the icon weight to the thin variant? 

Natkinson
      Genius

keithkelly I think if you're swapping icons there's probably a couple ways to go about it. There may be a better way, but what I did was identify the icon used in the default CSS and then adding custom CSS to override the Khoros default. So for the notification bell, we replaced ours with something like this:

.lia-header-nav-component-widget .lia-notification-feed-page-link:before {
          content: "\f0f3";
          font: var(--fa-font-light);
      }

for more details: https://fontawesome.com/docs/web/add-icons/pseudo-elements

I haven't found another way yet to easily replace built-in default icons.