Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Hidden Boards are visible for Admin

Hi All,

Can hidden boards are visible by admin? We created a category and enabled "Hide from lists and menus" in the community Structure and we used "Child Node List" component in the category page to display all the list of nodes. As a admin user need to have privilege to view all the categories, posts... but we are unable to view it. 

Can you let us know is it default functionality by the Lithium or we missing anything.

Thanks in Advance,

Abhishek Illindra

PaoloT
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi AbhishekIlindra

I believe you are confusing "Hide from Lists and Menus" with the role / permissions based access system.

The first one does what it says on the tin, that is it hides the node from lists and menus for everyone including Admins (but you can still access it if you know the URL). If you want a board to be protected, then you need to configure the roles and permissions required accordingly.

Hope this helps,

ClaudiusH
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Be aware that "Hide from lists and menus" does not restrict any access. It's purely a switch to hide the node and its content from showing up in the UI. But any member with the link can still access the content.

If you want to restrict access and e.g. have an area only accessible to admins you need to remove the "See Forums" permissions for the default user and grant it explicitly for the "Administrator" role.

• ClaudiusH PaoloT : Let me explain me the issue clearly:

For Admin all the Permissions are set to be "Allow Grant". So we are expecting if we hide the category in the Community Level it need to be still able to access for Admin. If it is the default behavior in the Community.

Is there any lithium out of box component that we can able to see the list if we placed the component in the page.

Thanks,

Abhishek.

ClaudiusH
        Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Admins are still be able to access a node that has the "Hide from lists and menus" property set in the community structure admin. So it's behaving as you expected. ðŸ™‚

If I understand you correctly you are looking for a component that shows to admins within the community UI always the complete structure and ignore any "Hide from lists and menus" node setting. Such out of the box component does not exist. You would achieve that instead via the permission setup I described earlier. If you use permissions the result will be that it's hidden from non-Admins, but Admins will see the node.

Maybe it would help if we could take a step back and you can describe high level what scenario you want to use the setup for. Then the Lithium Community can share some inspiration on how it can be achieved.