Forum Discussion

10 months ago

How can I increase the "Search Results Paging" indicators? (to show the total # of pages)

When I search & see something like this,

I think "oh, there's not much content on XYZ topic"

But on other forums, this is an indicator (to me) of the richness of the forum.  Seeing  [1] [2] [3] ... [75] tells me "Yeah so we've got a whole buncha stuff on that query.  Go refine your search criteria to be more sepecific so we can give you more relevant results."

What's the level of effort to achieve something like this?  I'm open to:

• Built-in OOTB methods
  • Easy overrides
  • Building a custom component.  (pointers appreciated, but I'd like to make sure there's not an easier way first. )
  • As far as I recall from past discussions with Khoros this is less of a frontend, but more of a backend issue. The ElasticSearch (?) that gets queried for the search only returns fuzzy results in regard to the query results, e.g. "We have more than ~18 results for this query. Ask me for a specific page of the result set and I can tell you more". That's why the pagination keeps getting expanded as users click through the result pages until they reach the truly last result page.

So not much you can improve on the frontend, I'm afraid. Although I share your concern that this is reducing the excitement about the richness of topic coverage on a community when gauged via search 😞 

• keithkelly - You can do with a bit of custom code and get the search results count printed on the page as mentioned here/ using API's - https://community.khoros.com/t5/Search-tools/Differences-between-community-and-REST-API-search-results/ta-p/161062

But as Claudius mentioned, there isn't much you can do since the count will fluctuate on every page when the user navigates b/w the pages, hence the broken pagination.

You can give it a go to see how it works for you.

I hope this helps.

• Bummer.  Perhaps there's a "result count" available?  (rather than pages) to display something like:

"754 results."

If anyone knows whether this is or isn't possible, chime in!