Forum Discussion

Akenefick
Genius
4 years ago

How do you get the compose private message lightbox to open?

I am just starting to learn to make custom components with FreeMarker and the API. As a practice project I am making a friends list which should allow you to send a friend from the list a private message. I copied the following URL from the "Send this user a private message" link on the profile page. (friendID and friendName are my own variables)

<a href="/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/${friendID}">Message ${friendName}</a>

When you click this on the user profile page it opens a lightbox with the message editor on top of the user profile page. My component instead opens the "privatenotes" page and you have to click the new message pencil icon to open the lightbox editor. It does at that point autofill in the username of the friend you selected.

So just curious why it behaves differently? Thanks

Akenefick
      Genius

I changed the url to /t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/${friendID} and that takes me to the editor with the username already filled in. I'm calling that a win. It doesn't open in a lightbox over the current page. It is a new page, but that's not a big deal. I am still curious about the lightbox if someone has a quick answer, but you don't need to spend any time researching this.

Thanks