Forum Discussion

5 years ago

How to access a custom user profile metadata field?

We had asked Khoros support to create as a custom profile metadata a boolean profile.receive_community_news. I am struggling to access this field via any API though. With the metadata field for messages I know that I could access them via Message.metadata calls in API v1. But I couldn't find an API v2 equivalent, nor an equivalent that works on profile metadata fields

I tried this without success ("Field 'profile.receive_community_news' does not exist for object 'settings'."):

SELECT profile.receive_community_news FROM settings WHERE user.id = '65'

How to access a custom user profile metadata field via community API? Ideally, I would like to get this setting for all members, i.e. a working API v2 call to the users collection would be my preference.

• Claudius 

If you want to fetch the user details from custom meta data field you can use API V1 like below 

<#assign receive_community_news  = restadmin("/users/id/${user.id}/profiles/name/receive_community_news ").value>

and for V2 you can ask support to add V2 collection for user in v2 API.

then your API will work like below

SELECT c_profile_receive_community_news FROM users WHERE id = '${user.id}'

• I don't think api v2 supports custom fields. Hell, it doesn't even support all oob fields (I may be thinking constraints...) 😛

If it does, though, I'd love to know as well.

Side note, wouldn't it be in the users collection?

SELECT profile.receive_community_news FROM users WHERE id = '65'

In the past, Khoros added user metadata fields for me and I used API v1 like this:

/users/id/${user.id}/profiles/name/metadata_field

I couldn't find it the first either, so I asked support how to and they helped me with the url.