Forum Discussion

5 years ago

How to check if a standard component has content?

Hi all,

Is there a way to check if a standard component has content? I'm using <@component id="solutions.widget.accepted-solutions-leaderboard-taplet"/> with a custom title added before in html, and i'd like to display the title only if the component has contant.

Thanks in advance.

• You can also do this similar to Parshant's suggestion, but without overriding the component.

Freemarker allows you to assign a block of markup by using opening and closing assign directives instead of self-closing. Once you've assigned the markup to a variable, you can then use Freemarker built-ins to test the content.

For example, you could do something like:

<#assign componentOutput>
    <@component id="solutions.widget.accepted-solutions-leaderboard-taplet"/>
    </#assign>

<#if componentOutput?? && componentOutput?length gt 0>
    <h3>Your component title</h3>
    ${componentOutput}
    </#if>

I've not tested this exact code, but it should get you close.

AdamN
    Khoros Oracle

You can also do this similar to Parshant's suggestion, but without overriding the component.

Freemarker allows you to assign a block of markup by using opening and closing assign directives instead of self-closing. Once you've assigned the markup to a variable, you can then use Freemarker built-ins to test the content.

For example, you could do something like:

<#assign componentOutput>
    <@component id="solutions.widget.accepted-solutions-leaderboard-taplet"/>
    </#assign>

<#if componentOutput?? && componentOutput?length gt 0>
    <h3>Your component title</h3>
    ${componentOutput}
    </#if>

I've not tested this exact code, but it should get you close.

SuzieH
      Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Thanks AdamN. I'm going to test this out and get a guide into the Dev Doc Portal once I get a working example. QQ: Does this solution only for for core components or can you also use this for a custom component?

AdamN
        Khoros Oracle

SuzieH it should work for custom components as well. You can use @component with custom components. And Freemarker's #assign and ?length should work the same for any string regardless of the source.

• Hi wearesocialit 

You could do this with jQuery.  We use this widget so I checked it with Dev Tools. It displays in our sidebar as a table with a header row and five data rows. You could check for the existence of the data rows and display/hide the taplet heading if data exists/doesn't exist.  You might even be better off hiding the whole taplet if there is no data?

Hope this helps ...

Parshant
      Boss

wearesocialit,

You can do this by override the same component and can assign the component variable before </delegate> code. With this it will assign all the data into the assigned variable, and can check with condition for empty content and values.