Forum Discussion

chrigu
Guide
13 years ago

Inclusion of a component in a Wrapper

Hi

In our current setup we have some custom navigation in the Page Header Wrapper. Now we'd like to display the "Ask an expert", the "breadcrumbs" and the "User Navigation Links" components on every page in the navigation bar. As such I'm wondering if there's a way to include these components in the Page Header Wrapper. 

Is this the correct approach or is there a better way to achieve that?

thanks

chris

• Hi chrigu, and welcome to the Lithosphere!

I'm not sure what your community looks like, but you have a couple of options as far as global navigation goes.

You can continue to add components inside of your page header (your company's header that wraps the lithium community, which has its own header) but I might suggest tweaking the community's header layout + Page-Quilt to add the user nav and bread crumb in there, as that's where they normally live out of the box.

Just like your company's header that lives in the Page Head section in studio, elements placed inside the community's Header Page-Quilt in studio will appear on every page type in the community. Hence why important components like the user nav, search, breadcrumb and page tile live there.

If you'd rather continue to add the components to your Company's header, you can, although you may need to wrap the component in the same div tags lithium uses if you want to have the community style still apply to these component now that they're technically inside the wrapper for the community, as opposed to being inside the community.

The code to paste inside a page wrapper for those components listed:

<@component id="common.widget.breadcrumb" />
    <@component id="common.widget.user-navigation"/>
    <@component id="qanda.widget.ask-an-expert" discussionStyle="forum"/>

MoniqueL
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

Hi chrigu, and welcome to the Lithosphere!

I'm not sure what your community looks like, but you have a couple of options as far as global navigation goes.

You can continue to add components inside of your page header (your company's header that wraps the lithium community, which has its own header) but I might suggest tweaking the community's header layout + Page-Quilt to add the user nav and bread crumb in there, as that's where they normally live out of the box.

Just like your company's header that lives in the Page Head section in studio, elements placed inside the community's Header Page-Quilt in studio will appear on every page type in the community. Hence why important components like the user nav, search, breadcrumb and page tile live there.

If you'd rather continue to add the components to your Company's header, you can, although you may need to wrap the component in the same div tags lithium uses if you want to have the community style still apply to these component now that they're technically inside the wrapper for the community, as opposed to being inside the community.

The code to paste inside a page wrapper for those components listed:

<@component id="common.widget.breadcrumb" />
    <@component id="common.widget.user-navigation"/>
    <@component id="qanda.widget.ask-an-expert" discussionStyle="forum"/>

chrigu
      Guide
      thanks for your help.

I guess I'll leave the components in the Header layout and do some CSS to make it appear as one unit with the global navigation.