Forum Discussion

10 years ago

Let user without permission add a role

Hi everyone, I'm looking to let certain super users add a specific role to any user.

Obviously I don't want to give them the full permission to change roles, so I was wondering if anyone has a code example of how to let someone perform a one off action like this.

• I don't have any specific examples, but you should be able to achieve it using a combination of a custom component and custom endpoint:

1. Create a custom endpoint that takes the login of the user to grant the new role to. It checks the current user is a superuser, and if they are adds the role to the specified user using a restadmin call (which will call the API as an admin).
    2. Create a custom component, which is only displayed to the appropriate users, that calls the custom endpoint. You will need to have a way for the super user to specify the username to grant the role to.

You'll need a concrete way of identifying superusers - presumeably based on a certain role. You'll also need to think of where to put the custom component (maybe a custom page).

PaoloT
      Lithium Alumni (Retired)

The approach suggested by nathan seems solid. You may also want to either hardcode the role to grant (in the endpoint), or if it is passed as a parameter, that the parameter is checked against a whitelist of roles that the superusers are supposed to be able of granting (just to avoid someone exploiting the endpoint to add arbitrary roles)

PerBonomi
        Boss

Thanks guys, I think I understand the principle of how it's supposed to work now. The only way to elevate a user's permission is to use Freemarker to do a restadmin call/post, and that needs to be done with the help of a endpoint. My problem is having an actual example. Without a working example of a component and a endpoint I'm lost.