Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Lithium SDK Clarifications

Hi All,

Can anyone explain how Lithium SDK is going to work. Following topics need clarification on it.

1. We create new components and pushed to Stage Environment. What are the steps need to perform while pushing code to Production.

2. We have both SDK push Components and New components created in the Stage Environment(with out SDK)  is it going to effect while pushing code via Studio push.

• Hi AbhishekIlindra,

Here is a screenshot to help illustrate. Notice the message at the top. (I highlighted it with the red outline.) That message will help notify you if a component exists in multiple plugins.

As for the two categories (Custom and SDK) in the Components section of the tab...

If you see a component with an SDK icon in the "Custom section, it means that you have two versions of the component -- one in Studio and one in the Community Plugin SDK. If there are any differences in the contents of the component code, then the Studio version is used. If you want to use the SDK version, click the X next to the component (in the Custom section). After you click that X button, the component will appear in the SDK section of the tab. The version in the Studio plugin will be deleted. 

If a component only appears in the SDK section, it only exists in the SDK plugin. 

If a component only appears in the Custom section and does not have an SDK icon next to it, then the component only exists in the Studio plugin.

I suspect what happened is that a set of custom components were originally created in Studio, and then were exported into the SDK using the li export-studio-plugin command. Then, when new components were created and submitted via the SDK with li submit-plugin , the originally-exported components (created in Studio) were submitted back to Stage, resulting in duplicate copies.

If you want all component development to go through the SDK, I would recommend clicking the X button next to duplicate copies in the Custom section so that all components appear under the SDK section. That might help remove confusion when Studio users are looking at the Components tab. 

SuzieH
    Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Hi AbhishekIlindra,

Have you read through the Developer Workflow section of the SDK documentation?

You'll use Studio Publish to push components contributed with the SDK live to production, just as you do for other customizations. Once components are on stage, regardless of how they go there (SDK or Studio), Studio Publish is the tool to go live.

Always remember that if you have a component with the same name in both Studio and in the Community Plugin SDK, the version in Studio will override the SDK version. The same document I linked to describes different development strategies with working wth the SDK.

Hope this helps. 

• SuzieH : Thanks for your clarification. To be clear on this content i will little elaborate this:

We are totally re designing the existing skin with brand new one and for that we used Lithium SDK for it and we have few components pushed via SDK and few directly in the Community. We are pushing both the components in the Community at same time.

Let us know is it the right way of doing or we are missing any point.

SuzieH
        Khoros Alumni (Retired)

Hi AbhishekIlindra,

What you're describing sounds like you will be safe. As long as you don't have components (or other files) in the SDK that also exist in Studio, each item should publish correctly. 

Cheers.