Forum Discussion

3 years ago

Max length of "string" fields returned by the API

Hello ya'll!

A vendor I'm working with is asking for the max length of various user fields returned by the API. For example, the view_href field or the email field. I can't find documentation on the max length of these fields; does anyone happen to know? I'll also ask support.

Thanks!

• Hah, our engineer was just trying to figure this out with support - For custom attributes, it's a million character limit. I would imagine the default fields can all be set to the same size (I know at minimum Support can change them as they just increased the Username character limit for us).

Edit: There is defaults set though - Username for example is limited to 16 characters out of box.  I've never seen any docs listing the specific limits though beyond one-off help articles randomly mentioning it for a few fields, or specifically asking support.

JavidH
    Khoros Staff

CarolineS Can you specify for which API Endpoint you require the character limits? Based on that, we will check with the engineering team and find out if there is a character limit on returned values and document those.

CarolineS
      Boss

Thanks JavidH! I got a response from support on this one:

Field name Type Min Max
      merakiuser.name_first string 0 255
      merakiuser.name_last string 0 255
      merakiuser.location string 0 255
      merakiuser.company_name string 0 255
      sso_id string 0 100
      email string 2 80
      login string 2 15