Forum Discussion

AllisonLeahy
Executive
9 years ago

Monthly Billable API Calls (BAC)

How do I find out how many Billable API Calls (BAC) I've used for the month, and what those calls were attributed to?

I understand we're contracted to a certain amount of BAC monthly and will want to keep tabs on this now that we've recently started extending our community and leveraging both the Bulk Data API and Community APIs V1 and V2. Anyone know where I can find this info?

• AllisonLeahy - One way would be to check the REST API metrics in admin and see how may API calls are you using per month. However, to see what is the source of the API hit, you may want to contact Lithium support for a detailed report.

I hope this helps.

VarunGrazitti
        Boss

Yes, this is the closest you could get AllisonLeahy. We have compared the reports from Lithium support for BAC's with this and the data is about +-5%, so you should get an idea of what you are consuming.

• We've also just started using the API Calls metrics from Advanced metrics and it seems to be pretty complete. There's some additional calls that might be caused by stuff like ActiveCasts, LevelUP apps and possibly even some parts of the LSW integration. Would be good if #Lithium could confirm the viability and completeness of the API calls metrics.

On a related note on how to keep BAC under control:

We have had some experience to reduce API calls by implementing sensible caching of components (especially those that don't need instant updating like e.g. "latest blogs" or some leaderboards) and macros. If you haven't done soe your dev team might want to have a look there:

https://community.lithium.com/t5/Developers-Knowledge-Base/Component-Caching-with-liaMarkupCache/ta-p/200921

AllisonLeahy
      Executive
      Great. Thank you both. Looks like we're well within our margins.

We recently completed some optimization work that eliminated a login request and thus wiped nearly 50% of our calls. Optimizations beyond that would be like splitting hairs at the current consumption rate.

I've noted some spikes in LSW-related activity, which I'd be interested to learn more about. We make less than a thousand Community posts through LSW every month and otherwise leverage the integration for keyword monitoring and alerts.