Forum Discussion

FrankEi
Lithium Alumni (Retired)
12 years ago

Move a post using the REST API

Hi 

I need to do the following via the API's

Move a post from a public board to a private board and keep the original post.  – I found no methods for this functionality.  So would it be possible to duplicate a message in a private board?  If so how?

If there are other options (leveraging the API's) I'd be interested in hearing them.

• Is there an update on if we can use the REST API to move a post?

DougS
      Khoros Oracle

There is now a move message call in the API. It does not let you do everything you can do through the web-ui-based move message, but does let you do the following:

• move a message from one board to another board
      • leave a placeholder in the original board you moved the message from
      • include replies (there is a set limit for number of replies, so you still may not be able to move an entire thread if that thread if really large)

There is also a call you can make to determine if a user is allowed to move a message.

-Doug

MattDe
        Expert

Hey DougS!

Thanks for the reply. Is there another link to the move message call in the API? The current one sends me to the developer documentation "Getting started with Community API v1" page:

DougS
    Khoros Oracle

There is no way through the REST API to move a message.  

This specific question was asked in this post: http://lithosphere.lithium.com/t5/developers-discussion/How-to-move-posts-using-REST-API/m-p/51838/highlight/true#M1732 .

If some kind of custom move message flow needs to be developed, I would recommend reaching our to our Services group with your specific use-case -- they may be able to provide a solution that meets the requirements.

I'm not sure if you'd want to duplicate posts in other boards (I guess it depends on your use-case, and it sounds like in this use-case maybe you do), but the API does allow you to post new message, edit an existing message, and reply to a message.  We do not allow you to delete messages through our API (which doesn't seem to be a need in this case).