Forum Discussion

8 years ago

Need custom component to display user's location in Profile Hero

I want to display a user's location in the Profile Hero.  I don't see where there is a stock component to display this information, which means I need to create a custom component.  I cannot find an example of anything here, or in the KB that would be a good example to work from.  I suspect I need something like this:

<#assign userLOC=rest( "2.0", "/search?q=" + "SELECT location from users where id = (ID NUM of PROFILE I AM VIEWING)  />
<div>
$userLOC
</div>

What do I need to finish that WHERE clause?  Can anyone point me to a repository of examples?

Regards,

Dennis

VikasB
    8 years ago

Hi dkytasaari  You are missing ending quote(") in your query.

Here is updated one

<#assign userLOC= rest("2.0","/search?q=" + "SELECT login from users where id='${page.context.user.id}'"?url).data.items[0] />
    <div>
        ${userLOC.login}
    </div>

Also, I do not think so there is any location field in API.  

• dkytasaari-

${page.context.user.id} is a context object which will return you the id of user profile you will be viewing. 

<#assign userLOC=rest( "2.0", "/search?q=" + "SELECT location from users where id = '${page.context.user.id}').data.items[0]  />

<div>
    ${userLOC.location}
    </div>

Also, you can check if ${userLOC} is blank or not by adding if else condition.

dkytasaari
      Ace

TariqHussain

i've tried this:

<#assign userLOC=rest( "2.0", "/search?q=" + "SELECT location from users where id = '${page.context.user.id}').data.items[0] />

<div>
          ${userLOC.location}
      </div>

The Preview parser throws an error, I cannot resolve:

Freemarker template 'preview' parsing failed:
      ParseException:Syntax error in template "preview" in line 6, column 0:
      Lexical error: encountered <EOF> after "\"SELECT location from users where id = \'${page.context.user.id}\').data.items[0] />\n\n<div>\n    ${userLOC.location}\n</div>\n".

Line 6 is the blank line at the bottom.  If I remove line 6, then the error moves to end of line 5.  Something is wrong, but I don't have enough experience yet to know the ins and outs of Freemarker syntax.  Is there something obvious here I am overlooking?

It also seems odd that there is a quote before the SELECT, but there isn't a closing quote for the statement.  I tried inserting one in a couple of different places, but that just gave different types of error message, none of which were any clearer.

VikasB
        Boss

Hi dkytasaari  You are missing ending quote(") in your query.

Here is updated one

<#assign userLOC= rest("2.0","/search?q=" + "SELECT login from users where id='${page.context.user.id}'"?url).data.items[0] />
        <div>
            ${userLOC.login}
        </div>

Also, I do not think so there is any location field in API.