Forum Discussion

JLSmith
Guide
13 years ago

New Custom Skin Inheritance

Hello,

If someone could explain this to me, I'd be very grateful. I've created a new custom skin. On the 'Properties' page, I selected an existing skin in the 'Based on' drop-down. Then I clicked 'Save'. When I go to the 'CSS' tab or to the 'Wrapper' tab for the new skin, everything is blank even though the skin upon which the new one is based has code in the CSS and Wrapper fields. I didn't check each value in 'Properties' to see if anything was inherited.

What does 'Based on' actually do? Isn't there any way to create an exact copy of an existing skin without copying and pasting the value of every text box and memo field from the old skin to the new one?

Thanks.

Joe  

MoniqueL
    Lithium Alumni (Retired)

"Based on" Actually means making that skin the "Parent" skin. Meaning that this new custom skin will inherit the styling that has already been written for the parent skin. The reason that your new skin has no code in its wrapper or css inside the css field is because its already using all of the same code and css inside the parent skin. The new skin's wrapper and css field are "blank" allowing you to override anything set in the parent skin. Hopefully that makes sense :)

JLSmith
      Guide

Yes, that explains why the fields are blank. I hadn't thought of that. The properties are not inherited though. Colors, sizes, etc. for the new skin don't match the values of the parent skin. In our case, the easiest solution will be to just copy and paste the wrapper and CSS from parent to new skin so that the base code is there to see and we can modify it as needed.

Thanks for your help.