Forum Discussion

cike
Champion
11 years ago

NonStringException while making a REST API call

Hi,

within a custom component I make a REST API call to get all recent threads of my community. From this result I read the author informationen for every thread and make a second REST API call to get ranking information about the author:

<#assign author = rest(thread.messages.topic.author.@href + "/ranking") />

Up to this point, everything works fine.

Now, I want to take my author object and make another REST API call to read the URL for the <right_image>-Tag:

<#if author.ranking.display.right_image?has_content>
<#assign imageUrl = author.ranking.display.right_image.url />
console.log("${imageUrl}");
</#if>

After this call I get a Freemarker NonStringException:

NonStringException:For "${...}" content: Expected a string or something automatically convertible to string (number, date or boolean), but this evaluated to a sequence+hash (wrapper: f.e.dom.NodeListModel):

Could someone explain why this exception occurs?

Thanks for your help and best regards.

Christian

• That's the sort of error message you get when you try to reference a property of an object that doesn't exist, or isn't directly convertible to a string (e.g. another object).

My guess is that URL property of author.ranking.display.right_image is not set. You can test this with code like this:

<#if author.ranking.display.right_image?? && author.ranking.display.right_image.url??>
     </#if>

I would also recommend putting looking at the data you're working with by putting the appropriate REST API url in your browser.

• That's the sort of error message you get when you try to reference a property of an object that doesn't exist, or isn't directly convertible to a string (e.g. another object).

My guess is that URL property of author.ranking.display.right_image is not set. You can test this with code like this:

<#if author.ranking.display.right_image?? && author.ranking.display.right_image.url??>
     </#if>

I would also recommend putting looking at the data you're working with by putting the appropriate REST API url in your browser.

cike
      Champion

Hey @nathan,

thanks for reply. That was exactly the hint a looked for.

Now, I use the ?has_content operator to check the occurence and the content of my nodes and attributes.

Finally, everything works well. :smileyhappy:

Best regards,

Christian