Forum Discussion

Lindsey
Leader
5 years ago

page.content.head.setTitle not working

For SEO purposes, we are trying to change the page title and description on the ForumTopicPage so the tags in the head tag will look similar to how they did in our old forums site.
I found this article about how to change the page title and description. In Common.init.ftl, I added this:

<#if page.name == "ForumTopicPage">
${page.content.head.setTitle(page.context.thread.topicMessage.subject + " - " + page.context.thread.topicMessage.board)}
${page.content.head.setDescription(page.context.thread.topicMessage.subject)}
</#if>

This did not work - the content in the title and description tag did not change. I also tried just adding this:

${page.content.head.setTitle("Test")}
${page.content.head.setDescription("Test")}

This did not work either - I expected every page to have their title and description meta tag to contain "Test", but they remained the same. How do I properly use setTitle and setDescription functions to change the title and meta description tags on the ForumTopicPage?

• Lindsey,

You can use page.content.head.setTitle and page.content.head.setDescription context object only for Custom Pages. It will not work for other pages or mapped custom pages.

Lindsey
      Leader

Parshant  Oh shoot. Is there any other way to set the ForumTopicPage head title and meta description without using Javascript and use freemarker context objects as a variable in it?